Webmaster Chat

The place to talk about computers, the internet, websites, and gadgets and gizmos of the technical variety.

Moderator: GeneralHavok

Do you have your own website?

Yes
78%
No
22%
I used to, but not anymore
No votes

Total votes : 9

Webmaster Chat

Postby GeneralHavok » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 am

As the official COFA Geek, I thought I should start a forum for those of us who are responsible for websites...whether personal, organizational, or otherwise. This might be the place to share ideas, ask for help, or post links to your favorite (family-friendly) websites.

I'm a freelance web designer. I work at home, and have been making websites since 1999...full-time for going on three years. It started as a hobby, but eventually (due to my obsessive gene) I got good enough to think about making some money from it. When I got fired from a really good tech job (a long story for another day), I took stock of my situation and made the leap.

It's been a lot of fun. How many other web geeks do we have here? I know that a bunch of you run outdoors-oriented websites...chime in and let everyone know that you're proud to be a geek!

Or, even if you're not so proud, we're probably the only ones reading the tech forum anyway.

:wink:

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

GeneralHavok
COFA Geek

Webmaster Chat

Postby gnastynate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 am

That went over well, didn't it? :razz:

I have a couple of websites, I'm still building my main one, I've got the layout I just need to get back to putting in content. Who really needs content anyway???
gnastynate
City Slicker

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 am

I am amazed by anyone who can put idea's and thoughts into a website and make it look so good. That is a gift for sure!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby silvertip » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:44 pm

I have two websites...websites are just like any other kind of storefront..you need a nice front door...you need stuff on the walls for folks to look at...and yep...you need a cash wrap too...

the internet is supposedly only hitting about 15% of its capabilities as of 1-01 08...I only hope that we can get a way to eliminate some of the questionable stuff...its way outacontrol now...maybe at least here in our own country...I am not against basic rights...but there are too many people from other countries that are taking advantage of our freedoms we have here...

we need to get the big servers on some kind of filter system...that excludes all the bad guys...I am sure you all know what I mean...from what I understand the government is working on it as we speak...

but that may be an oxymoron ...actually trusting them to git'rdone...LOL...
silvertip

Postby oz n bolivia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 pm

How did I miss this subject!

I've built two Web Pages, multiple pages, for both business' of my son and wife , my personal web page, and I am web master for my church. I started on the church's page about 8 months ago, then we lost the internet connection. Hard to up load without a connection. I'm getting new pictures since we have a new pastor and wife. I just restored the connection, created two new e-mail for the Church board and Pastor.

At Church I've got access to Dream Weaver. At home I use Coffee Cup Free and HTML Kit. When I started with HTML code I did it on note pad or MS Word. Yep was doing it just like I was writing a Basic Program. I can read the code fairly well. I was never a great programmer, but reading someone else code was easier than writing from a written or flow sheet input. I'm a better diagnostic programmer than writer.

Aside from lessons and a few references, which are a big help, I like to look at the source via using View then Page source. I find I can do a lot of cut and past then change the link, and size.

Yes it is fun.

Oz
Blessed is he that believes in Jesus and the FATHER.
oz n bolivia
Trail Guide

Postby GeneralHavok » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:14 pm

One of the best resources I've found to help with making websites is the W3C Validator. It lets me check my code to see if I've made any errors.

Why is this important? We can't be sure how people will be viewing our websites. We need to put our best foot forward to make sure our code doesn't break in different situations. Some will see our sites on a PC, some on a Mac, some on Linux. Some use Internet Explorer, some use Safari, some use Firefox, some use Opera, some use Flock, some use Konqueror. Some use computers, some use cell phones, some use projectors, some use screen readers..I think you get the point. This morning I viewed my son's website on my cell phone, just for kicks. If our code isn't good, the site might be unusable in different situations.

Check your website's HTML:
http://validator.w3.org/

Check your website's CSS:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Check your website's RSS Feed:
http://validator.w3.org/feed/

Check for broken links:
http://validator.w3.org/checklink

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

GeneralHavok
COFA Geek

Postby silvertip » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:20 pm

GH...I am encouraging my viewers to download Firefox...since I use a lot of photos ..they seem to be much better at portraying my site accurately...much better than IE or AOL.etc...I always check out several different venues...and I am surprised sometimes how they can translate...in particular page layout etc...

FireFox seems to be the best for PC users for me...Mac users are only about 5% of my viewers...but from what I hear back they do OK...

also FYI...I initially had some problems with editing and getting error messages and log on.with IE and AOL...but on Fire Fox all works well...even the spell check etc...so I am visiting COFA now strictly on firefox...
silvertip

Postby 45auto » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 pm

I have my own website.
45auto

Postby GeneralHavok » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:59 am

spearotiki wrote:GH...I am encouraging my viewers to download Firefox...since I use a lot of photos ..they seem to be much better at portraying my site accurately...much better than IE or AOL.etc...I always check out several different venues...and I am surprised sometimes how they can translate...in particular page layout etc...

I encourage all web designers to install multiple browsers for testing their websites. I like Firefox okay, but I prefer Maxthon. It runs on the IE kernel, so it renders like the version of IE you have installed.

While it's true that FF does a better job of rendering HTML and CSS than IE does, I've found that the difference lies in the code and not in the browser. I don't use any 'browser hacks' or filters in my coding, and all of my sites look as expected in all major browsers. For me, it's about making the right code, not using the right browser. I'm a bit of a purist that way.

FireFox seems to be the best for PC users for me...Mac users are only about 5% of my viewers...but from what I hear back they do OK...

I wonder whether the Mac users are primarily on FF, or on Safari. They're quite different. I work very closely with someone on a Mac, and I'm often surprised at what Safari won't do. A simple example is that it won't render <em> as italic unless you specifically tell it to. I find that odd.

GeneralHavok
COFA Geek

Postby silvertip » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:03 am

Hi Tony...is Maxthon geared for macs?? ...I am always looking for new things ...thanks for the info..

update...
I just installed maxthon...pics are very clear and the macromedia flash shows are great quality...I just have to learn its features...thanks...t

like you said...I think having lots of browsers is a great idea...
silvertip

Return to Tech Talk