Word of the Day, August 29, 2018, Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, August 29, 2018, Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Postby Marty » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 am

Word of the Day, August 29, 2018

“ Fairest Lord Jesus! Ruler of all nature! O Thou of God and man the Son! Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor, Thou, my soul’s glory, joy, and crown!”

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Last night I preached from the Book of Ecclesiastes 8:11-13 and I finished with these verses above. Solomon finally got it! Fear GOD; Keep His commandments for this is the WHOLE DUTY of man.

The author of Ecclesiastes spoke throughout this entire book about his reflections and experiences in his life and the conflict in his mind over the problems in his life and why GOD would allow this to happen. As the flesh always does, we enjoy the pleasures of life and there is nothing better for the flesh in our minds. However, the writer tells us that the conclusion to all these issues in our life is to Fear GOD and not to live for ourselves. These words come from an older man, a wiser man full of what life can present to us. I would encourage you to take some time this long weekend to read the complete Book of Ecclesiastes. It is only 12 chapter.........come on, you can do it! It is a book full of real life situations and it is comparable for our lives today. There is nothing new under the sun...

Solomon, whom most bible scholars think wrote this book starts to complain, question this, struggles with this and even ponders these issues in his life. However, he still speaks of our duties and obligations to GOD throughout this short book.

Chapter 3 is a well known collection of words often call A Time for Everything. We have different seasons in our lives. A time to be born, a time for death, a time for break down, a time to build up, a time to weep, a time to laugh, a time to get and a time to loose, a time to love and a time to hate and a time for war and a time for peace. I certainly have experienced all of these in my life. This is what life is all about, seasons of good and joy and seasons of sadness and pain and he shares this with us.

In the 12th chapter, he finishes with a change of heart and attitude by coming to terms that vanity of vanities are all just vanity. He set out to preach many proverbs, find acceptable words and even words of truth. The writer speaks from experiences in his own life and shares it with his assembly. People sought to hear Solomon’s wisdom, for he was known for that. He uses his gift of wisdom to share with other people and for the glory of God’s kingdom.

A little language lesson of the Greek here. Ecclesiastes in the Hebrew Bible is called “Koheleth”. When it is translated into English, it means preacher, teacher or one whom addresses an assembly.

The preacher finishes strong with the key verses of Ecclesiastes in verse 13 & 14. Fear GOD, for our worship of GOD, our reverence, our love, our complete trust, our willingness to serve Him and our desire to please our Father GOD. We are to keep His commandments (that seems to be in the Bible a lot) for a better life and relationship with GOD. The preacher tells us that this is our whole duty. What is the true way to happiness, the certain way or means to attain our great end? The wise preacher answers that in verse 13.

My message last night was to stay away from sin. To never get close to that line that we crossover to fall into the pit of sin. Run from sin, yell at sin, fight sin and ask the Holy Spirit to guide us daily in a sinless walk.

There is a judgment day and all men must give an account to GOD. The things we did will come unto GOD’s judgment. Everything we did, good or evil, secretly or we thought were hidden from GOD with be brought to light and we will have to account for them. We must make sure our walk with GOD is strict and when we do give up our account it will be full of joy.

So we need to follow the preachers advice in verse 13, Fear GOD, obey His commandments and for this is all that should concerns man. We need to make this our whole duty to follow these words of wisdom and wholly serve GOD today and moving forward for His glory!

“ Perfect submission, all is at rest. I in my Savior am happy and blessed. Watching and waiting, looking above, filled with His goodness, lost in His love.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology