Word of the Day, August 27, 2018, Proverbs 6:16-19

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, August 27, 2018, Proverbs 6:16-19

Postby Marty » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 am

Word of the Day, August 27, 2018

“ How deep the Father’s love for us, How vast beyond all measure, That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure. How great the pain of searing loss. The Father turns His face away, as wounds which mar the Chosen One. Bring many sons to glory.”

Proverbs 6:16-19

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I have heard many people say that GOD is love right and that He does not hate. This is simply not true. GOD does hate sin. I am sure we have all said that we are to hate the sin and love the sinner. This quote is nowhere in the King James Bible. It is actually a quote from a non-believer named Mahatma Gandhi who stole it from a Catholic Bishop and both men lived a wicked life and never truly followed the Word of GOD and applied His Word in their lives.

Solomon writes in the verses above the 7 things GOD hates. GOD hates a proud look or pride, as we know it today. Proverbs 16:18 says this; 18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. A funny thing is that most of the time we have pride is not when we win or are successful, but when we have failure. This is true with almost every examples of pride in the scriptures. Do you know what pride does? It keeps people away from allowing Christ into their lives. LORD, help me remove pride from my life.

GOD hates a lying tongue. We are all guilty of this throughout our lives whether it was only when we were young children or even as an adult still today. GOD hates this. Why do we do this? As believers we should never lie. We should hate this just like our Father GOD does. Father GOD, forgive me for my lies in my life and that I ALWAYS speak the truth.

GOD hates the shedding of innocent blood. Most of us reading this today are not murders. I am sure a few of us might have wanted to murder someone in our minds because they have hurt us or someone that we love, though we never act on this. However, GOD compares some sins as murder, like hating our brother in 1 John 3:15: 15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. Father of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, please never let me hate my fellow brothers in Christ.

Another thing that GOD hates is a heart that devises wicked thoughts and ideals. Our thoughts are created in our hearts and minds before we act them out with our actions. Our legal system judges our wicked actions based upon the act but GOD judges our sins based upon our evil hearts. A great example of this is Jesus preaching the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5 and He tells us that even though we have not committed the act of adultery, but think about this lustful action in our hearts and mind, we are still guilty of this sin. Holy Spirit, guide me to keep my eyes, mind and heart pure and not to have that first or second look and to only have eyes for my wife.

Solomon shares that GOD hate those that are swift to running to mischief. I can’t run very fast but I have surely have been involved in mischief in the walk of my life. In my past life, I stood way to close to the line of trouble, the line between good and bad, the line between right and wrong. Father GOD forgive me of my sins, give me the desire to seek You first and Your righteousness each and every time I need to decide to follow you or follow my flesh.

GOD hates those that sow discord among our brothers and sister in Christ and I believe we can even go farther and say about anyone. We need to denounce gossip and slander. Let us ALL get this right, it is wrong to talk gossip about any one in our church, our homes, at the office or at the coffee shop with our friends. We are not allowed to talk gossip even in a prayer about them among our prayer groups. I would ask you to read Titus 3:2 today. I think I can say that at sometime in all of our lives we have spoken gossip and sown discord. Oh GOD, I seek your forgiveness for my sins for I have done this and I ask the Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me to NEVER do this again in my life.

This may be hard to hear to some people but the Word of GOD is clear, GOD does hate and He hates sin. Seek Him today in fellowship of prayer, asking for forgiveness and ask that the Holy Spirit will guide you to keep these sin and all sins away from you walk today and everyday.

“ Lord, teach us how to proclaim all your goodness, your love and your name! Lord, teach us how to forgive, and in love, teach us Lord, how to live. Raising our voices in song, help us tell all the world we belong.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology