Word of the Day, July 31, 2018, 1 John 2:8-11

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, July 31, 2018, 1 John 2:8-11

Postby Marty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:18 am

Word of the Day, July 31, 2018

“ We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord; we are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord; and we pray that all unity will one day be restored. And they’ll will know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes, they’ll know we are Christians by our love.”

1 John 2:8-10

8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

Have you ever heard a fellow brother or sister in Christ say they hate that fellow brother or sister? I have and far to often. This darkness within that person that hates is sin and also is a stumblingblock for other believers and for non-believers to see or hear we hate someone within our church body or anybody for that matter does not show the light of Christ. The very name brother/sister shows that there is love due to them. Ok, do I need to say more?

Mark 3:35: 35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

1 John 4:20: 20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

Ouch! Pretty strong words there…

James 4:11: 11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

Pretty simply right?

1 Timothy 5:8: 8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Luke 14:26: 26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

So I believe this verse spoken by Christ himself is speaking about our own house and family. However, it surely can apply to our church family as well. We are all part of the body of Christ, the church, our church family and if we are followers of Jesus Christ, then we are all brothers and sisters and if he hate, we are in darkness and John asks us how we can love GOD if we hate our brothers.

I have shared this in the past that I have taught and corrected my children since they could speak when they say they hate someone. I have not allowed that statement here in my family. I have corrected them every time they have said that.

If you do hate someone, seek forgiveness from our Father GOD, pray asking the Holy Spirit to take that away and move forward and try to love that person. Guess what, you do not have to like them but we are commanded to love them.

The writer of Hebrews gets straight to the point and tells us to 1 Let brotherly love continue. So as I wrote yesterday about the Word of GOD is that we are to believe every word written. I used some strong verses here but we are to obey every Word of GOD each and every day.

“Behold how good and how pleasant when brethren dwell in peace. What heavenly sweetness and fragrance this Christian Unity? How gracious is the Saviour’s love that binds our hearts in one? Tis life abundant from above to love both foe and friend.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology