Word of the Dy, July 3, 2018, Philemon 1:3-5

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Dy, July 3, 2018, Philemon 1:3-5

Postby Marty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 am

Word of the Day, July 3, 2018

“ Sweet hour of prayer. Sweet hour of prayer hat calls me from a world of care and bids me at my Father's throne. Make all my wants and wishes known in seasons of distress and grief. My soul has often found relief and oft escaped the tempter's snare. By Thy return, sweet hour of prayer.”

Philemon 1:3-5

3 Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
4 I thank my God, making mention of thee always in my prayers,
5 Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints;

As a believer in Jesus Christ, it humbles me to hear someone praying for my family and I. Paul shares with Philemon that he is always mentioning him in prayer. I love the word always, because I know how that feels because I have a group of brothers and sisters in Christ that are always lifting me up to our Lord and Saviour. I also do this with the same group of believers lifting them up to our Father GOD daily.

I have written about this before about greeting our fellow believers as we walk into church. Paul gives us many examples in all of his letters with the exception of the letter to the Galatians with thanksgiving to the church he is addressing. This is a great study that I would encourage you to study out one day.

A few months ago, my Pastor asked this question to us. How do we greet our fellow churchgoers, our brothers and sisters in Christ on Sunday morning or when we see them during the week? I see many examples within Paul’s letters to fellow believers throughout the New Testament.

Titus 3:15: 15 All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.

II Timothy 1:2: 2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

II Timothy 4:22: 22 The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.

I Timothy 1:2: 2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Colossians 1:2-3: 2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you.

My Pastor ask us to come to church with the right heart. First pray as we arrive that the worship and message will be to GOD’s glory and that lives may be changed. Second, that we would greet people with a loving heart. The third thing is to greet visitors, helping and showing them the church and how things work and to offer any help we can. The fourth thing is to sit in a different spot in church so you can meet new people. I have a hard time with this one because I like my seat. I got it just the way I want it finally. ☺

I believe we are all guilty of this at times. We just want to walk in and out of church because we are busy, or not in a good mood or something is happening in our own life. I remember during my trial that people would stop me, ask how I was and take my hand, or touch my shoulder or back and pray for me on the spot. That was a lesson that has stayed with me since. If someone is having a hard time, sickness, a trial, touch them and pray for them on the spot and continue in prayer for them throughout the week. This is truly an encouragement, a mood changer and let’s someone know you love them.

I have always been a social person, a salesmen and outgoing so this comes natural to me. I want to talk with people, to be concern for them, to love them, to pray with them and to even just catch up with them. I want to get there early and stay there late so I can do this. This is my church family, many are my dear friends and most importantly, they are my brothers and sisters in Christ. I can’t wait for Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. These are the times I am with my brother and sisters and get to worship, pray and fellowship each and every week.

So this Sunday, say hello to someone new at church. Pray with a brother or sister that is in need, sit somewhere new, and before you arrive, pray for the Worship leaders and your Pastor, pray that lives and hearts be changed, pray for the lost to finally hear the words that will lead them to accept Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. Greet your brother and sisters as Paul did with grace, mercy, love from the Father GOD and Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.

“ Brothers Sisters lost in the dark He is the one who unlocks the heart. Brothers Sisters open your eyes. He is the one who changes our lives. A promise from the King to send a helper for our learning, it settles on us now a secret voice is gently stirring.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology