Word of the Day, June 27, 2018, Luke 10:27-37

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, June 27, 2018, Luke 10:27-37

Postby Marty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:25 am

Word of the Day, June 27, 2018

“ But if we are the body, why aren't His arms reaching? Why aren't His hands healing? Why aren't His words teaching? And if we are the body, why aren't His feet going? Why is His love not showing them there is a way? There is a way, there is a way.”

Luke 10:27-37

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

I preached this message last night at my Tuesday Night Men’s Prayer Life Group and I want to share this today also again.(sorry for the repeat for the guys that were their last night) This has been laid on my heart for awhile and it is a great reminder of what Christ shared above in Luke 10. (Sorry for the long read this morning)

…And Thy Neighbor as Thyself. So I’ll ask this today. Who is our neighbor? Is it a person of a different race, a different side of the tracks or from a bad part of town? Is it a person that has a different belief or religion or an atheist? Who is our neighbor? Is it a person that has committed a crime or a sin that we have never committed? Is it our competition or archenemy or a rival? Is it someone that is 180 degrees different than us in everything we stand for, everything we are or everything we believe in?

In this parable that Christ tells a certain lawyer that was trying to tempt Christ that not only did this man that was a Samaritan stop and help this person that was attacked and hurt laying along side the road left for dead but he also left his credit card for the inn taker to pay for all his expenses needed to get him back on his feet. This is an example of Christ and his gift of grace to all of us. But for today’s lesson, this is an example of two people of different countries that hated each other and how a Samaritan was loving thy neighbor no matter what.

I want to give two examples of loving thy neighbor by Loving People and Serving Others. The first way is by giving of ourselves within the church. I think this one is the easiest one of the two now in my life. It was not easy for me in my past because if I helped it was from a distance and that way it did not hurt, become a burden or take away from my personal time. I throw money at it and not Tim at it.

I want to talk about examples of some Godly men in my life have taught me about LOVING GOD, LOVING PEOPLE, SERVING OTHERS and TELLING EVERYONE about that unmerited favor and that amazing grace that is of Christ and this parable that he shared with us through His Scriptures.

I know many people in my church, First Bible Baptist Church that are always giving of their talents, gifts and time to make this church flow smoothly and for events to run smoothly and to help the children, serve on Sundays in the café, be an usher, be part of the praise and worship team, be part of the welcoming team, be a worker in the nurseries, be a leader at a life group, discipleship, volunteer for the sports ministries, mow the yard, plow the snow, set up for an event or tear down when everybody is tired and ready to leave or a Awana worker on Wednesday. This is all good and we should be doing this. This is how the Church runs right? This is how we help show Jesus to others in our church or visitors to our church.

I used to not do any of these things in my past except for the cool things or the job that needed to be done that was easy or the one I wanted to do.

For the past 20+ years of coming to FBBC I was given so many examples of men and women serving. I watch the Grapes, the Ireland’s, the Waye’s, the Paonessa’s, the Erricison’s , the Kaiser’s, the Cottrone’s, the Smith’s, the Dutton’s, the Ferris’s, the Harris, the Dyjak’s, the Shea’s, the Fabry’s, the Green’s, the Motley’s, the Young’s, the Yaw’s, the Potter’s, the King’s, the Cresswell’s, the Pestke’s, the McLeod’s, the Grace’s and many, many more and all the newer families that now go to FBBC that are serving right along these other believers. Thank You to these families for their service and examples. I am sure those that go to other churches can replace these names with their own list of faithful servants.

The second part of this loving thy neighbor by Loving People and Serving Others is by going outside these 4 walls of this church and truly loving thy neighbors. By going outside our bubble or our comfort zone. We love them by just loving them, by helping as needed and by showing them Christ through us and to tell them of the saving grace of Christ Jesus.

As I discussed earlier these are the hard people to love. The prisoners, the divorcee, the people that do not look like us, talk like us, a Democrat or a Republican, those that migrate to our country legal or illegally. How about the homeless on the corner begging for money, the people that have addictions of all kinds take over them, the person that filed bankruptcy, the person that got fired from their job or the person that let sin into their lives and destroyed them, the dirty and smelly or to even love the nicest or the worst neighbors across the street?

Jesus said in verse 27 that we are love the Lord thy GOD will all thy heart, all thy soul, all thy strength, with all thy mind and then says to love thy neighbor as thyself. In Matthew 22:37 and 39 he states the same thing as verse 27 about loving the Lord thy GOD with everything as the first and great commandment and the second is like unto the greatest commandment that thy shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Christ gives us two responsibilities in these verses. The first one is to GOD and the second responsibility is to man. With all thy heart we are to love GOD and Christ said this second commandment is like unto the first commandment and indicates the total being of man.

I’ll finish simply with what Christ told us already. “ Go and do thou likewise! ”

“ Stand up and heed heaven’s call coming to us one and all. To live love and give love to those who don’t know of. The lavish and true love of God. We are the kingdom of God. We are an army of love. We carry truth to the world. We are the kingdom of God.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology