Word of the Day, June14, 2018, Acts 17:22-23

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, June14, 2018, Acts 17:22-23

Postby Marty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:37 am

Word of the Day, June 14, 2018

“ Abide with me; fast falls the eventide; the darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, help of the helpless, O abide with me.”

Acts 17:22-23

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

I believe that if Paul was alive today on earth, that he could still say the same thing anywhere throughout the world. We have so many things that we make our gods today. Some facts that are very interesting about man’s religion. About 1 billion people do not profess belief in any religion:

There are 21 major religions today. Christianity, Islam, Secular, Irreligious, Agnostic, Atheist, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, Primal indigenous, African traditional, Sikhism, Juche, Spiritism, Judaism, Bahá'í Faith, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Neopaganism, Unitarian Universalism, and Rastafari movement. The internet says that there are really over 42000 different types of what man calls religions. In Christianity there are over 30,000 different denominations.

Do we believe in Friday the 13, Horoscopes, Black cat running across the road in front of you is bad, palm readers or are you to superstitious? Do we sit around and try to think of something that is new other than GOD? I will be a bit bold here, when I hear other Christians say they read their Horoscope or that they are a Cancer, Libra or Aquarius and I truly wonder what they believe, superstitions or GOD. Paul would tell us that we are too superstitious.

How about fortune tellers, palm readers, horoscopes, psychics, tarot card readers, good luck charms and believing in luck all are part of the unknown gods that Paul was talking about. Paul called them babblers. Paul will and did declared the one and only true GOD to them later in the chapter. Many mocked Paul and some ask to hear more about Christ. Not much different from today.

What I like about this chapter and Paul’s sermon from Mars Hill is that he started out with a general comment about their superstitious and denoted that he saw a sign that said “To the unknown god” and then he starts to share the love of Christ to them. Paul tells them that it is GOD that has made the world and all things in it, not mother earth. We are not to worship to man’s hands but the hands of GOD. Paul tells them that they should seek the LORD and that is still true today. Seek and ye shall find! Peace, joy, love and grace from Christ our Saviour and not from men or false gods. Paul tells to repent because GOD has appointed a day for judgment for all.

Do we have unknown gods? Do we depend on gods to supply our spiritual needs? Do we look to something other than the one true GOD to fill us up? Martin Luther said, " Superstition, idolatry and hypocrisy have ample wages, but the truth goes begging.” He also said, “ That every sin is first a sin of idolatry.” The first commandment states plainly, “ Thou shall have no other god before me."

Paul had some people become saved and as I said early, many mocked him. This is how it is still today. We need to reach out one at a time to the lost and show them the grace of Jesus Christ. Try speaking to some one today about Christ Jesus and how he has changed your life.

As with most WOD, I am lead by the Holy Spirit to write them or I need to hear them myself or I am doing a study or someone in my life is going through a trial or does not believe in the One True GOD. So today I write this for a man that does not know Christ and believes all these other gods or thinks it is he that is the one that controls his destiny or life. So I ask for pray to be able to share the gospel and that he finds his way to Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour.

“ We believe in God the Father. We believe in Jesus Christ. We believe in the Holy Spirit and He's given us new life. We believe in the Crucifixion. We believe that He conquered death. We believe in the resurrection and He's coming back again. We believe.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology