Word of the Day, June 5, 2018, 2 Peter 1:1-2

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, June 5, 2018, 2 Peter 1:1-2

Postby Marty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 am

Word of the Day, June 5, 2018

“ There in the ground His body lay, light of the world by darkness slain. Then bursting forth in glorious day, up from the grave He rose again! And as He stands in victory, Sin's curse has lost its grip on me. For I am His and He is mine, bought with the precious blood of Christ.”

2 Peter 1:1-2

1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

Peter authored this book and his main theme is a warning against corrupt teachers and scoffers. In order to counteract the influence of false doctrine, he made a great emphasis upon the Word of GOD and the for sure fulfillment of GOD’s divine promises.

Peter reacted to the scoffers, those that mocked, those that sowed doubt, and those that spoke derisively against Christ. He stated they would come in the last days in 2 Peter: 3:3-4. He shared the heresies of the false teachers, their corrupt characters and their denial of Christ throughout chapter 2. Peter called for our spiritual life “ through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue.” 2 Peter 1:3

Peter gives us seven essential steps in our increase and fruitfulness of our spiritual life in 2 Peter 1:5-8. We need to be giving all diligence, to be adding to faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge, then to knowledge temperance, to add temperance to our patience, and to patience godliness. Peter continues to shares that we are to add to godliness brotherly kindness and to brotherly kindness charity.

This letter gives us believers today a look at how we must still be vigilant against falling into false doctrines, heresy and even cult activities. Peter’s letter gives us clues to help detect false teachings and how to avoid them. I had a brother in Christ tell me that some one stated to them that because other religions have done certain things, that are against the Word of GOD, that they must be right because the church is doing this today. Scary! If what is being preached does not point to Christ and what He did on the cross, then it is a fake religion.

Peter’s second letter touches on the churches internal problems, especially on false teachings that were causing people to doubt their faith and turn away from Christianity. Boy, could we use a Peter letter sent to us today. Religions have become the norm and not a personal relationship with Christ Jesus.

The Word of GOD has been changed, deleted, misrepresented and thrown out of our lives today, true Christianity has been replaced with man’s religions and false religions, false teachings such as prosperity preaching, a man at the head of a religion being glorified instead of GOD, the desire for money taking over true gospel preaching, our own gods that come before the One True GOD, preachers not preaching about the blood of Christ, people believing a self proclaimed prophet over the Word of GOD and our Gov’t trying to take GOD out of our lives. We have no need to change the Word of GOD, GOD wrote it, He is Perfect and so is His Words.

2 Timothy 3:16: 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

We need to be in the Holy Scriptures more today than ever before and to be on our knees. Guess what, we do have a letter from Peter and it is right in front of us today. No need to check the mail box for a letter, but walk to the bookshelf, the table and pick up your Bible, brush the dust off of it and start reading it today.

“ My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name. On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand, All other ground is sinking sand.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology