Word of the Day, May 29, 2018, Exodus 20:16

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, May 29, 2018, Exodus 20:16

Postby Marty » Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 am

Word of the Day, May 29, 2018

“ God said write upon this stone these words I say to you and if you all obey My rules I'll see you safely through. God opened Heavens doors and then He guided Moses hand and said go and tell My children these are My commands.”

Exodus 20: 16

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Why do we tell lies, tales, exaggerate, bear false witness, make things up and spread rumors against thy neighbors, our friends, our family, our co-workers or a even a stranger?

Let’s see what the Word of GOD says about lying, evil and corrupt communication, speak ill of others and bearing false witness.

Proverbs 12:22: 2 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Proverbs 13:5: 5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.

Proverbs 14:5: 5 A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.

Proverbs 17:7: 7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

Ephesians 4:29: 29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Colossians 3:9: 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Revelation 22:15: 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Want me to keep going? These are just a few. Do I, you, we get the point?

1 John 2:4: 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Proverbs 24:28: 28 Be not a witness against thy neighbour without cause; and deceive not with thy lips.

Proverbs 19:5: 5 A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.

Matthew 15:18-20: 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Proverbs 12:19: 19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

I have been guilty of this in my life and strive to never speak lies in my life again since I got right with Christ Jesus. It is a choice, it is a decision that has to be made on the spot as we speak or think about what we are going to say to someone.

Why do we have to speak evil of someone else? Do it make us feel better about ourselves? Does it make us look like a better person to others around us? Does it make up for our own sins to be telling a lie about someone else? Why do we lie or speak evil about other people or make up crap to knock someone down or to gain by spreading false rumors? Lying lips are abomination to our LORD!

So I’ll finish with this question? What part of “ Thy Shalt Not ” do we not get?

“ We want to live pure we want to live clean. We want to do our best. Sweetly submitting to authority, leaving to God the rest. Walking in the light, keep our attitudes right, on the narrow way. For if you believe the Word you receive, you always will obey!”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology