Word of the Day, May 7, 2018, Joshua 3:1-8

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, May 7, 2018, Joshua 3:1-8

Postby Marty » Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am

Word of the Day, May 7, 2018

“ We are bound for Canaan land, tenting by the way; Who shall lead us on the road? Choose your king today. Dare to stand like Joshua, dare to say the word: Just before us Jordan rolls, right across the way; We can safely trust the Lord, He shall lead today.”

Joshua 3:1-8

1 And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from Shittim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.
2 And it came to pass after three days, that the officers went through the host;
3 And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it.
7 And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.
8 And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.

Good Morning all and hope you had a great weekend and hopefully you spent time this weekend praising and worshiping out Father GOD at a good bible preaching church. In our bible reading this weekend we read Joshua 3-4 about the Israelites crossing the Jordan into the promise land.

Joshua had a faith that was so strong that when he came to the ragging flooded waters of the Jordan that he did not stop but did as GOD commanded him to step in and proceeded into the river with the priest carrying the ark of the covenant. When they did, the waters, which came down from above, stood and rose. Not only did the water stop like GOD said, but again as it did at the Red Sea for Moses, the priest and the Israelites walked across on dry ground and stood firmly. It was wide enough for them to have over 2000 cubits (over a 1/2 mile) between them and the ark. The water stopped flowing into the Dead Sea. Is that not GOD’s promise to us in our lives to if we are willing to listen and believe Him when he speaks to us.

In verse 7 GOD says to get ready, because He is going to magnify His people in all of Israel. GOD told Joshua that he was to go during the day so that the miracle might be more evident and unquestionable and maybe even to scare their enemies that the GOD of the Israelites was the most powerful, awesome and the one and only true GOD. GOD told Joshua to get his people ready because He was about to make it happen and deliver His people into the land of milk and honey. The thing to notice is that GOD tells us to get ready for His blessings upon us. GOD promised to His chosen people that He would drive out their enemies in the promise land of Canaan. Are you ready?

Joshua 4:15-17: 15 And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,) 16 That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho. 17 And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan.

Do we have the courage to believe GOD like Joshua and the priest did and step into the ragging Jordan River? I have questioned GOD before in my life and was not willing to listen or even be ready for the blessings to come. I am ready and willing to know, reckon and yield unto my GOD.

Sometime when you get a chance, really read Chapter 3 and try to understand the history (research it), the miracles and how GOD used Joshua and gave him creditability among his people as the new leader after Moses. The Canaanites were not really that worried about the Israelites crossing the flooded Jordan as they watched from the other side because they knew it was impossible, but with GOD, all things are possible. Cities, towns and villages of the enemies say the Israelites cross the flooded Jordan. GOD was showing them who He was. The Great I am!

This passage was about the power of GOD. I believe that this was calculated to establish their faith forever, as was the Red Sea crossing. But as we know, that GOD’s people fell from HIS grace many times even after seeing all the signs and wonders during their captivity in Egypt and their passage to the promise land.

We must remember that the same GOD who is over all is rich in His mercy to all that call upon Him. HE changes not, nor does He waver: we must trust in the LORD Jehovah is an everlasting strength for us followers and He will receive us into His glory.

“ When my weary life is over Pain and suffering are no more Who will lead me safely o'er Canaan's shore, that sweet Canaan's shore?

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology