Word of the Day, May 3, 2018, Genesis 8:20-22

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, May 3, 2018, Genesis 8:20-22

Postby Marty » Thu May 03, 2018 6:00 am

Word of the Day, May 3, 2018

“ Are you hurting and broken within? Overwhelmed by the weight of your sin? Jesus is calling. Have you come to the end of yourself? Do you thirst for a drink from the well? Jesus is calling. O come to the altar. The Father's arms are open wide. Forgiveness was bought with the precious blood of Jesus Christ.”

Genesis 8:20-22

20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

“ An altar is any structure upon which offerings such as sacrifices are made for religious purposes. It was usually a raised platform with a flat surface. There are over four hundred references to altars in the Bible. The word altar is first used in Genesis 8:20 when Noah built an altar to the Lord after leaving the ark. However, the idea was present as early as Genesis 4:3–4 when Cain and Abel brought their sacrifices to the Lord. They most likely presented their offerings on some type of altar, even though the word altar is not used in that passage.”

So I have been talking about the power of prayer, the power of fasting and today I would like to talk about the power of the Altar. The scripture is filled with verses about the Altar. Let’s look.

Jacob was told to build an Altar unto GOD in Genesis 35.

1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother. 2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: 3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went. 4 And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem. 5 And they journeyed: and the terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob. 6 So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him. 7 And he built there an altar, and called the place Elbethel: because there God appeared unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother. 8 But Deborah Rebekah's nurse died, and she was buried beneath Bethel under an oak: and the name of it was called Allonbachuth. 9 And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came out of Padanaram, and blessed him. 10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. 11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins; 12 And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land. 13 And God went up from him in the place where he talked with him. 14 And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he talked with him, even a pillar of stone: and he poured a drink offering thereon, and he poured oil thereon.

GOD spoke to Moses and Moses spoke to the Israelites about what GOD told him about an Altar of earth they should make in Exodus 20.

24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee. 25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it. 26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

GOD spoke with Gideon to build an Altar unto the LORD in the Book of Judges.

24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites. 25 And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Take thy father's young bullock, even the second bullock of seven years old, and throw down the altar of Baal that thy father hath, and cut down the grove that is by it: 26 And build an altar unto the LORD thy God upon the top of this rock, in the ordered place, and take the second bullock, and offer a burnt sacrifice with the wood of the grove which thou shalt cut down.

At my church, my Pastor asks us to listen to the Holy Spirit after each message to come to the altar to pray, to give to GOD the issues of our life or lay our sins at the foot of the cross. I remember when I was uncomfortable about raising my hand in praise to my GOD and the first time I went down to the Altar. Everybody was watching me. There is something about stepping away from your seat and getting on your knees at the altar and praying to our Father GOD, given Him what is on your heart, one on one with our Abba Father.

I know, we can do that in our seat or anywhere, but to humble ourselves to get to the altar and on our knees is how we build a closer relationship with GOD. We need to make sure that we go to the altar for the right reason, not to show off, not to look good or even to not go because the message was about your sin and you do not want to go down because we are ashamed of your sin. Make it about the Holy Spirit leading you down. We have a war between our flesh and the Holy Spirit within us. Listen to that Spirit and step out, get on your knees and lay it all at the feet of Jesus, asking the Holy Spirit for guidance, pray for those that are in need and it is a time to make a commitment with Christ to move forward and not backward in our walk with Christ. Jesus is calling, O come to the altar.

“ The service is nearing an end. The choir is singing, “Just As I Am” and now as the old song is played. People at the altar are kneeling down to pray. Some are finding mercy, forgiveness for their sin. Some are fighting battles and they're struggling to win. The time has come to give them to the Lord. That's what the altar is for. You don't have to carry those burdens anymore. ”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology