Word of the Day, May 1, 2018, 1 Thessalonians 5:17

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, May 1, 2018, 1 Thessalonians 5:17

Postby Marty » Tue May 01, 2018 5:48 am

Word of the Day, May 1, 2018

“ So I pray. God I need You more than words can say. Right here in this moment You know my heart, You know my need, You know every part of me. So even if it's just to speak Your name. I'm gonna pray.”

1 Thessalonians 5:17

17 Pray without ceasing.

How is our prayer life one on one with GOD? How is our prayer life corporately with other believers? How is our churches attitude towards prayer? What would change if we truly believed in the power of prayer? How would our relationship with GOD our Father be if we desired to have a strong prayer walk with Him?

Andrew Murray, a prayer warrior, writes that there is a twofold use of prayer. “ One is to obtain strength and blessings for our own lives. The other is the higher and true glory of prayer for which Christ has taken us into His fellowship and teaching intercession-the royal power a child of GOD exercises in heaven on behalf of others and even of the kingdom.”

Here are a few quotes from other wise and godly people about the power of prayer.

“ The greatest answer to prayer is that I am brought into a perfect understanding with God, and that alters my view of actual things.” Oswald Chambers

“ Prayer is the way you defeat the devil, reach the lost, restore a backslider, strengthen the saints, send missionaries out, cure the sick, accomplish the impossible, and know the will of God.” David Jeremiah

“ Our prayers are heard, not because we are in earnest, not because we suffer, but because Jesus suffered.” Oswald Chambers

“ The power of prayer can never be overrated. They who cannot serve God by preaching need not regret. If a man can but pray he can do anything. He who knows how to overcome with God in prayer has Heaven and earth at his disposal.” Charles Spurgeon

“ The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, 'O God, forgive me,' or 'Help me.” Billy Graham

" I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day." Abraham Lincoln

Now I’ll let the Word of GOD speak about the power of prayer.

Philippians 4:6: 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Matthew 6:6: 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

James 5:15-16: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Romans 12:12: 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Do we believe in the power of prayer? How strong do you believe a marriage would be if a husband and wife knew they were joined together in the name of Jesus to experience His presence and power in united prayer? How about our brother and sisters in Christ or our friends if we were aware of the mighty help to our relationship by praying in harmony? Would this create a better relationship between us? How about fervent prayer for the lost?

How about a praying church if they were in unity in prayer? Is this not one of the major reasons for us to be banded together? We are to come to church and be in united and effective prayer together corporately. Are we crying together in the universal church? Crying to GOD is really a matter of unceasing united prayer among the universal church.

So I’ll ask again, how is your prayer life today? That is really between GOD the Father and you. However, I would encourage that it increases, whether it is nothing, only when you need something, maybe at a meal or you do it as often as you can, it can always increase and it will only grow you closer to Christ. I believe that our house, our church, our temple should be called a House of Prayer. Is it?

I think that we must be desperate in prayer. We can show our weakness to GOD through prayer, humility and honestly admitting how desperately we need GOD. As I grow closer to GOD, I realize that I don’t just need prayer from day to day, but that I need it from hour to hour. I need His power more and more each day. Seek GOD today in prayer. Pray without ceasing.

“ Sweet hour of prayer. Sweet hour of prayer. That calls me from a world of care and bids me at my Father's throne. Make all my wants and wishes known in seasons of distress and grief. My soul has often found relief and oft escaped the tempter's snare by Thy return, sweet hour of prayer.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology