Word of the Day, April 9, 2018, 1 Peter 5:3

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, April 9, 2018, 1 Peter 5:3

Postby Marty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 am

Word of the Day, April 9, 2018

“ Name above all names. Worthy of all praise. My heart will sing how great is our God! ”

1 Peter 5:3

3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

Are we an example of Christ to others? Are we the light or the darkness? Throughout the scriptures, setting an example is an important element of discipleship. Are we a stumbling block for people that do not know the grace of Jesus Christ?

Paul told the Corinthians to be “ ye followers ” of him. To follow his examples of Christ like actions. As the body of Christ, we need to show the world by our examples as believers. Do non-believers see Christ in us? They should be drawn in by what they see from us as believers of Christ. Are we different than others because we have Christ in our lives? We should be.

Jesus told His followers to “ take my yoke upon you ”, in Matthew 11:29. This was to show them humility and gentleness. Paul stated in Philippians 3:17 that we are to “ be followers together of me.” Paul is urging believers to follow his example of enthusiasm, perseverance and maturity. Do people see these qualities in us?

As a member of the Body of Christ, do we show examples of Christ’s mercy, love and grace in all that we do in our life? Do we only do it on Sunday morning or do we show the light of Christ to everybody all week long?

Paul used his unworthiness to receive Christ as an example of grace so that no one would hold back from coming to Christ in 1 Timothy 1:16: 16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Are you a leader in the church or at work or in an organization? If so todays verse is an example of how we should be to those that follow us. Peter taught Christian leaders to lead by example and not by our commands and demands. To be e real leader, we must first know how to follow.

Peter describes several good characteristics of good leaders in the church. Here are 4 examples of a good leader. They realized they are caring for GOD’s people and not their own. They lead out of eagerness to serve and not of an obligation. They are concerned for what they can give and not what they will get and the finally characteristic is that they lead by example and not by force.

We all are leaders in some way or another and our leadership should be in line with these characteristics that Peter shared with us. Do people see Christ in us as we lead or live our life? They should and we should strive to be more like Christ everyday. Let’s start today.

“ The splendor of the King clothed in majesty. Let all the earth rejoice, all the earth rejoice. He wraps himself in light and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology