Word of the Day, March 12, 2018, John 3:30

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, March 12, 2018, John 3:30

Postby Marty » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 am

Word of the Day, March 12, 2018

“ You must increase, I must decrease, Lord, yeah. I'll bow down and You will be adored. You must increase, I must decrease, Lord I'll bow down and You will be adored. Oh, Jesus You will, Jesus, You will be adored.”

John 3:30

30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

In my daily reading plan today one of the chapters is the Book of John, Chapter 3. This chapter is filled with some strong verses. Jesus tells us in verse 3: 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Verses 5 continues to answer Nicodemus questions to Christ about being born again and 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Verse 15, Christ says 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16, most likely the most recognized verse in the world and one of the most important verses in the Word of GOD. Jesus tells us that 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus continues in verse 17 with 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Now we come to verse 30: 30 He must increase, but I must decrease. As a man, this is harder than what this verse that John the Baptist speaks about. Stop and think about this. Do we do this daily or only on Sunday? Do we stop and just give GOD the glory for everything we do? Christ must increase. I must decrease.

I was studying the verses of chapter 3 and understood about how John the Baptist, after seeing Christ, knew that he had to decrease and the preaching by Christ must increase. This verse speaks of him decreasing so that Christ can shine now and Christ being the Son of GOD, preach His own words. John the Baptist realized this. Did he have the grounds to be all puffed up at Jesus or even jealous? Jesus ministry was now started. Jesus was growing in importance, His work was more important. John the Baptist knew that Christ came from heaven as the Son of GOD. Christ was now here and Christ preaching must increase.

Our preaching, our testimonies and our works must always be about the dominion of Christ, the growth of His kingdom and not about us. John the Baptist’s ministry was to point them to Christ. A job well done! He was the voice of one crying in the wilderness, and the one building the spiritual highway for Jesus. Christ the Messiah was now here and His work was completed. John the Baptist’s ministry was to cease so that Christ ministry could increase and John the Baptist knew this.

Can we apply this to our lives and us today, yes I believe. Is what we are doing for the kingdom about Christ or us? Do we have the right heart to serve the kingdom of Christ? Are we putting Christ first? Are we showing the light of Christ when we talk about Him or serving Him? Are we like the Pharisees praying to show off? De we show off our faith to make us look good? Do we let the Holy Spirit speak through us or do we speak for ourselves when we share the word of GOD?

Now, let’s take this verse just using the 7 words that John the Baptist used, “ He must increase, but I must decrease.” It can’t be about us anymore after we become a new creature in Christ, the old things of us must pass away and we must become new. Is that about being all about what we want or about increasing Christ in our life, about putting Him first, serving Him first and being the beacon of light because Christ is in our heart? Increase Christ in your live. Increase what people see from you, the grace and love of Jesus Christ. Increase your walk with Christ. Increase the time you spend with Christ. Increase your love for Christ. Increase your ministry of sharing the Kingdom of Christ and make it less about you and more of Him. Remember today that He must increase, but I must decrease.

“ There's a longing I have in my heart; To be free of the burden of sin that's in me. And I know that in Him there is comfort and peace. What I need is more Jesus in me. He must increase; I must decrease. He must increase; I must decrease.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology