Word of the Day, March 6, 2018, Matthew 9:13

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, March 6, 2018, Matthew 9:13

Postby Marty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 am

Word of the Day, March 6, 2018

“ God, You don’t need me, but somehow You want me. Oh, how You love me, somehow that frees me to take my hands off of my life and the way it should go. Oh, God, You don’t need me, but somehow You want me. Oh, how You love me, somehow that frees me to open my hands up and give You control. I give You control.”

Matthew 9:13

13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

GOD spoke many times throughout His Book that He does not want our gifts and sacrifices when we give them out of a ritual, duty or even hypocrisy. GOD, I believe as I study His Word, wants us to first love, repent and obey him. Today we are going to have a little Bible study. Here are a few examples of this.

Obedience is better than sacrifice.

1 Samuel 15:22-23: 22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

GOD does not want sacrifice or offerings. He wants us to take joy in doing His will.

Psalms 40:6-8: 6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, 8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

GOD is not interested in sacrifice; He wants a broken and repentant heart.

Psalms 51:16-19:
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. 18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

GOD desires our obedience and He promises that He will be our GOD and we will be His people.

Jeremiah 7:21-23: 21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh. 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: 23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

GOD does not want our sacrifices; He wants us to show love. He does not want our offerings; He wants us to know Him.

Hosea 6:6: 6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

GOD hates pretense and hypocrisy; GOD hates this. He wants to see justice “ run down as waters and righteousness as a might stream.”

Amos 5:21-24; 21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.

GOD is not satisfied with offerings: He wants us to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with Him.

Micah 6:6-8: 6 Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? 7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I believe that we should make Micah 6:8 a verse that we live by. As believers of GOD, we try in all kinds of ways to please GOD. GOD makes His desires or wishes clear; He wants His people to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with Him. Are we fair in our way we treat people. Do we show mercy to all people, those that we love and those that have hurt us or people that we don’t even know? Are we living and learning humility? The LORD requires this of us. Love someone today.

“ Your love is devoted like a ring of solid gold. Like a vow that is tested. Like a covenant of old and Your love is enduring. Through the winter rain and beyond the horizon with mercy for today. Faithful You have been and faithful You will be You pledge yourself to me and it’s why I sing Your praise will ever be on my lips.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology