Word of the Day, February 19, 2018, Hebrews 11:6

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, February 19, 2018, Hebrews 11:6

Postby Marty » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 am

Word of the Day, February 19, 2018

“ Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!” Morning by morning new mercies I see; All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!”

Hebrews 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

I have written about faith before but this past week I met with three men. One has faith but questions it often and two of them have no faith in anything but themselves and their lives are a mess. It breaks my heart to see people that are not trusting and having faith in our Lord and Saviour.

Faith, what is faith? Do we believe that GOD will be there for us? Is that faith? Do we believe that GOD promises will happen? Is that faith? Do we believe that if we ask it will? Is that faith? Is believing in GOD faith? Believing in GOD is only the beginning. Guess what, even demons believe in GOD. (James 2:19-20) GOD does not settle for the mere acknowledgment of His existence, He wants our faith that leads to a personal relationship with Him.

Does faith make sense, really? Do we believe because faith does not make sense or because faith does not need to make sense? Sometime GOD does not make sense because we cannot comprehend His power and might. Does this mean that we don’t try to make sense of GOD? GOD gave us minds that should be developed and used.

If we question does that mean we do not have faith? GOD wants us our trust and faith, even while we ponder and wonder about so many matters that are, let say mysterious to us. Faith is reasonable even though reason cannot explain the whole of it. We need to leave room for the unexplainable works of GOD.

Believers, living by faith, can rest confidently that GOD’s promise will be fulfilled and they are in fact a reality in our lives. My real question today is this. How deep does our faith go? Do we have faith when things are good and explainable? How strong is our faith when everything is falling apart and not explainable?

Paul tells us in chapter 11 about the faith of legendary people of the Old Testament. We could describe them as Hero’s of Faith. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses and many more were people that chose their faith in GOD over themselves. (Please take a few moments to read Hebrews 11)

Mark 11:22: 22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

1 Corinthians 1:9: 9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Deuteronomy 7:9: 9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Lamentations 3:22-23: 22 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

GOD does not promise that all on this earth will be great, without pain or hurt, but His promise of eternal life with Him with no more pain, suffering, tears and evil will come true with our rewards in heaven. By faith, seek GOD today. By your faith, praise Him for all that you have, the good and the bad. By your faith, let your faith come out today and serve His kingdom and by your faith, trust in the LORD.

“ Every word He's promised is true. What I thought was impossible I've seen my God do. He's been faithful, Faithful to me. Looking back He's love and mercy I see. Though in my heart I have questioned and failed to believe. He's been faithful, faithful to me.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology