What is the best coon dog for 300 bucks?

Coon hunters share their stories, tips, etc.

What is the best coon dog for 300 bucks?

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 am

Just wondering, had a guy ask me that yesterday, since I don't coon hunt..
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby D1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I personally like a blue tick,however the best coon dog I owned was a treeing walker. Cur dogs will usually be the best bet for a "MEAT" dog as they have a tendency to "CHASE"(humt by site) rather "RUN"(hunt by smell/sent).Not sure about Colorado but for 300 dollars in south Ms.Your probably only going to get an 8 week old pup no matter what breed?
D1
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 am

I have a cattle dog with part rottie, and he loves to herd deer and elk..best dog I have ever had. We have a few coons in the mountains, but I am more worried about mountain lions, and they are big cats...
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby D1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Mike Brooks wrote:I have a cattle dog with part rottie, and he loves to herd deer and elk..best dog I have ever had. We have a few coons in the mountains, but I am more worried about mountain lions, and they are big cats...

is this the same dog that helped you chase the bare from the garbage can on the back porch? :grin:

believe it or not you train them to tree/bay a mountian lion also, if your state has a season for that.

think I would use a Plott hound or cur, as they were bred to be a bit "GRITTY" rather than a walker or blue tick as they are not as "GRITTY"
D1
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 am

this is buck, a lover, not a mean streak in him, the black lab is the one that will fight bear..not sure she can even do that anymore! A fighter like I have never seen..
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Coon Hunting