Cougar Stand, "Almost!" with Action News Video Rep

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Cougar Stand, "Almost!" with Action News Video Rep

Postby rainshadow1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 am

I'll try to post this over here. This is what I live for lately! Don't get out as much as I'd like with a young family, but when I do I sure love it!

This is why it's been cloudy under 2000 feet in Western WA! Beautiful up high!

Stand pic 1

Stand pic 2

Ok, here's the story. Not the ideal weather for finding big cats, but I had a day available, so I went anyway!

The weather here has been wierd. After the cold and snow, it got real warm and rainy. Melted anything with sunlight exposure up to about 4500 feet. Frozen ruts in the road.

I didn't run across any cat tracks, but down below this ridge, I found a TON of deer tracks. So I figures I'd try it.

I parked....

Here....And climbed the ridge to the right. The rocky peaks continue up to the right out of sight. I climbed up about half way to the rocks, probably 1/2 mile and set up.

The first video is on stand, after I couldn't get anything to show. I was doing about 15 minutes of silence, this clip is 3 minutes...
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/rainshadow1/?action=view&current=MOV04705.flv

The second is up from where the Cougar sounded off. About 40 minutes after the first video I walked a loop, behind me, then up above, then approached from the far side with the call running... 1.5 minutes...

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/rainshadow1/?action=view&current=MOV04706.flv

The last is finally giving up and leaving. 1 minute....

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/rainshadow1/?action=view&current=MOV04711.flv

The second stand of the day I probably pushed out a Bobcat before I started calling. I was working a steep, steep ridge, and ran into snow. 50 yards later, whoa! Bobcat tracks! Fresh! I cut into the timber and did a stand, but I think I got too close on the climb. Nothing showed.

Third stand was dry, but I found a real neat new spot!

Good day for seeing nothing with claws!
- - Steve

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com/calls
www.rain-shadow.com/knives
rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby SavageHunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 am

Man, you are hunting some really pretty country! I sure hope you get your next cat on video, because I would really like to see a cougar called in.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:07 am

Looks like where I hunt, have plenty of big cats, even had one come in to a cow call I was using. I really want to do a Mountian lion hunt in Colorado!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting