[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
COFA: Christian Outdoor Fellowship of America - Live the Experience! • View topic - What is good winter camping gear?

What is good winter camping gear?

Talk about camping, campsites, your favorite trip, your best gear, and more.

What is good winter camping gear?

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 pm

I kow a good sleeping bag, but what about the kind of tents for snow, rain, etc.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Bubba in FL » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:27 am

For these kind of conditions I prefer my Coachman 24' Camper! :razz:
"Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Acts 10:13
Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 am

:lol: funny man, I wish I could have one nice motorhome, while hunting! Shower, good sports programs, nah...I like the fellowship, maybe motor home during summer, the A/C is very important :grin:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

SLeeping Bag

Postby Jeremie76 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 pm

So what's a good sleeping bag Mike? I am looking at starting to get the stuff I need for elk camp and I know my sleeping bag is a cheap one that my wife and I use when we go car camping in the summer. So any pointers would be appreciated. THANKS
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

winter camping

Postby bwcaman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 pm

I have winter camped on purpose in the Boundary waters region in northern minnesota a few times. Most of the time I like it to be below freezing so a person can stay dry. ideally above zero so it's easy to stay warm.
For extreme cold (-38 below with heavy winds was the coldest for me) use a bag in a bag system with qualofill or something similar. I was warm with a -20 bag and a 0 degree bag inside. The key is to be overheated but not sweating when you get into the bag. Your heat must warm the bag and you will stay warm all night. If not you can cheat by wrapping a "hot rock" from the fire, in a towel so it won't burn you. It will keep you warm all night. Be careful on that one!
If you have been outside all day and then sit by the fire, your body has switched from heating itself to relying on external heat. It's deadly for winter campers. The cold bag will keep you cold all night and in extreme conditions you don't wake up.
there is a great spiritual application there I think!
2nd time I elk hunted, I winter camped but not on purpose. Thankfully I had 2 bags and a good ground pad when the tempeture dipped and we had 2 feet of snow dump on the tent.
Unless you have a stove in the tent it's not a good idea to be on a cot or on the floor without a good pad under the bag. The air under the cot or the cold floor will pull your body heat through the best of sleeping bags.
my experience is...
Leave the cotton bags home on winter camping.
How about a COFA winter trip to some remote trout lakes for some great ice fishing???snow shoe or dogsled Mike?
NO God - No Peace... Know God - Know Peace
bwcaman
Greenhorn

Re: What is good winter camping gear?

Postby Lizette » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 pm

Winter camping requires more gear than summer camping.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Return to Camping