Inexpensive GPS

The place to talk about computers, the internet, websites, and gadgets and gizmos of the technical variety.

Moderator: GeneralHavok

Inexpensive GPS

Postby Ironknees » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:54 pm

I wanted to let everyone know that I have found what looks to be a quality, yet inexpensive hand held GPS... On the Cabelas website, I found the Garmin etrexH GPS unit. There are (as of today) 23 reviews, most of which give the product five stars... The most common negative if you want to call it that is some complaining about learning how to use it... and not really many of those. Every single one acknowledges this to be a good quality product that performs as advertised...

Personally, I don't need a handheld GPS with all the maps, bells, whistles, and various navigation screens... I need only to be able to locate camp, locate my stands, and to locate things like my game cameras, and good fishing holes...

Mine should be here about mid week... (First full week of March) When it arrives, I'll update this, but I wanted to pass this along to anybody needing one at a great price...
Here is the webpage and the picture of the unit:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0049053228732a&navCount=1&podId=0049053&parentId=cat21350&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat21350&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21350&hasJS=true

Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Ironknees » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:19 pm

I just got my new GPS and let me tell you, this is just the ticket!!! :grin:
It initialized IN THE HOUSE in less than 60 seconds... The menu's and screens are very easy to use, and so simple that you really don't have much to remember... A quick look at the "quick start" card to get familiar with the buttons and functions, and I was up and running... Tomorrow I'll mark my mineral licks and game camera sites... I've very happy with it...

My only argument with it was that the Spanish directions were on top, followed by several other languages before I got to the English one... This just happens to be a real sore button with me... The other day at Wal*Mart I made a spectale of myself when I lost my temper in front of several people in the electrical and lighting department because every single thing I was looking at had Spanish directions and I was having trouble finding the English versions... I made a big (_!_) of myself...
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Ironknees » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I used the new GPS today to mark some of my mineral lick sites... I was amazed at how quickly it turned on and found itself.. Even in the woods under cloud cover it only took perhaps ten to fifteen seconds to be ready to go, unlike my old one which was the very first hand-held offered and takes as long as a half hour or more to get going... I'm absolutely delighted with this simple, easy to use unit... Dave
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Ironknees » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:05 am

Seems like I'm the only one using this particular thread, but I wanted to add that I just took my new GPS in the truck, drove about a mile with it and it works GREAT inside the truck as well... Brought me right smack dab to the spot I have marked outside our back door... One nice feature that my old one didn't have is that the nav screen automatically orients itself as you move... Once you start walking, you simply hold the unit in your hand, and as you walk, the screen orients so that north is north, west is west, and so on... This places the track like and the pointer pointing right at the direction you need to turn and walk toward... This unit is so simple that just about all you need do is familiarize yourself with the features, and the buttons which are dead simple, and away you go.. Marking waypoints or things like tree stands is very easy as well... The ONLY thing I have found that I don't like is that you are only given six digits to identify landmarks with... For instance, I have a number of mineral lick sites, so had to mark the ones at Smith's as S (for Smith) LICK1 or SLICK1 or ELICK2 for Ellis lick #2 or something of that sort... No big deal though... $99.00 sure gets you a great little unit that is lightning fast and very accurate and easy to use... Dave
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Carroll B » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 for the truck. Just spent $60 to update the street maps in it. Bought a Garmin eTrex vista two months ago. Had some points at BassPro so it only cost me $89. I like the color screen and the ability to plot. I plan to use it for riding my ATV and also hunting. Bought the Garmin topo DVD so I downloaded the 4-5 states I plan to use it in.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Ironknees » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:36 am

I wanted to share how well this $99.00 GPS is working... Sorry about the picture quality... I took a quick pic of some of the main screens...

Top left is the satellite acquisition page, and note at the top that it says ready to navigate.

Top right is the main nav screen... Once you are moving, it remains oriented and points directly to your waypoint... and of course gives you speed and distance to go...

Bottom left is a really handy trip odometer page which is GREAT for walking or riding your bike... Tells you exactly how far you have walked and how long, etc...

Bottom right is a menu page from which all other menu items are selected... VERY easy to use... I absolutely love this no frills unit... Dave

Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am

Those e-trex are nice units, you will love it Dave.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby 45auto » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

I have the Magellan Explorist 210
45auto

Postby Ironknees » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:16 am

I have the VERY first Magellan offered... Got it when Cabela's first offered them... It still works actually, if you consider anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to acquire the satellites "working"... Once up and running though it's great, but not much use if you have a cougar on your six, are twisted around and need it like "NOW".. :roll:

My wife gives me the dickens about getting twisted around in the woods... On the ground I have absolutely ZERO sense of direction... She says how on earth did you have an entire career as a professional pilot, flying for the airline, cropdusting, flying for a skydiver school, and instructing in everything that has wings and can't even SEE the ground and never get turned around... Instruments Honey... Instruments and technology... Hey, nobody ever said that being able to get inside the terminal and find my next gate and ship was part of the deal...:grin: Image
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 am

any thoughts on the new 2009 GPS?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

NO Longer available.

Postby Jeremie76 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Well this item is no longer available. I just went to my cabelas wishlist and this was the most recent item that is blocked off and says no longer available on it. Just thought I would let you know.
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

Return to Tech Talk