What Elk scent do you like?

Elk Hunters share their stories, tips, etc.

Moderator: Mike Brooks

What Elk scent do you like?

Postby Mike Brooks » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Dumb question here, but how many of you use scents to elk hunt? Do you use a cover scent, an attractant, just wondering who uses what. :cool:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby LJ Whitson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:58 pm

I have used cover scents before, don't know if they really worked or not, but ...........................

after a couple days at Elk Camp, people sure need something to cover their scent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :razz:
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."
LJ Whitson
Trail Guide

Postby TRMichels » Tue May 06, 2008 11:11 pm

I was the first person to suggest elk urine (both cow and bull) to Wildlife Research Center here in MN in the late 80's.As far as I know they were the first ones to come out with it. The packages had my name on them for the first 10 years or so.

We sent a half dozen bottles to a half dozen outfitters in Colorado and Wyoming, and everyone of them had positive results.

Cow urine works to bring bulls in close when you call during the rut, especially for archery hunters. Bulls scent is used mainy as a cover up.

God bless,

T.R.
T.R. Michels
TRMichels@Yahoo.com
Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting Magazine Website
www.TRMichels.com
TRMichels
Trailblazer

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 pm

I have used coe elk scent and thought it did well with the cow calls. I have had bulls follow a scent trail that I put down. many folks make mistakes but seldom learn from them :grin:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby silvertip » Wed May 07, 2008 7:52 pm

do you guys think this really necessary ?...I was hoping I could get away from all the whitetail tactics... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: t

maybe scout and glass a bit more...but I do think Larry has a valid point... :grin:
silvertip

Postby TRMichels » Wed May 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Elk are just plain jumpy, jumpier than whitetails. If you want to get a bull to come in close while you are archery hunting, I' use cow scent, plus be as scentless myself as I could. But, I'm only an outfitter and a guide - I could be wrong ...

God bless,

T.R.
T.R. Michels
TRMichels@Yahoo.com
Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting Magazine Website
www.TRMichels.com
TRMichels
Trailblazer

Re: What Elk scent do you like?

Postby Lizette » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:20 am

I use a ghillie suite and I spray it with elk pee and stuff it in a bag with fresh sagebrush.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Re: What Elk scent do you like?

Postby milehiscott » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am

Just don't let the bottle of Elk pee break or leak in your clothing bag. Your tent mates will not be happy. :shock:
milehiscott
Senior Scout

Return to Elk Hunting