What is the best state to hunt record book whitetails?

Deer hunters share their stories, tips, and more.

Moderator: TRMichels

What is the best state to hunt record book whitetails?

Wisconsin
38%
Minnesota
15%
Ohio
31%
Michigan
15%

Total votes : 13

big deer

Postby bwcaman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 pm

I love the topic of big deer. I lived in SE Iowa for awhile and there were huge deer there. If someone shot a huge deer it was measured and mounted! I have several neighbors now in northern MN with huge racks in their garage rafters that were never measured. It seems that much of the local culture is hunting for meat. My son and I quit at 9 deer last fall because the chest freezer was full and our neighbors were thankful to get a couple as well. Of the 9 one was a nice 10 point 185 pounder and one was an even bigger 6 point with no brow tines. The rest were antlerless by law. I checked this afternoon and the freezer is getting low (but the fish are really biting so all is well).
We get some really big deer probably because we hunt a mile back in the state forest land and beyond most hunters. It's where the deer head after the first shot on opening morning. I am partial to MN but I know there are huge deer in much of our country. The further north one goes it seems there is less focus on rack size and more on weight.
NO God - No Peace... Know God - Know Peace
bwcaman
Greenhorn

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Gary, that's like our elk, I can shoot as many as I want with a 391 Private land owners tag. I have taken 4 one year, and elk meat is great. Whitetail is good eating as well..
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

elk

Postby bwcaman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 pm

now you've got me dreaming of elk hunting, I told my wife I "need" an elk gun. I will add another freezer to the list as well!
NO God - No Peace... Know God - Know Peace
bwcaman
Greenhorn

Postby Mike Brooks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:37 am

Gary, you better get another freezer, elk have a lot of meat, and it tastes great too :cool:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Deer Hunting