Bear Research Update

Deer hunters share their stories, tips, and more.

Moderator: TRMichels

Bear Research Update

Postby TRMichels » Sun May 01, 2011 7:21 am

This comes from my third year of Bear Research in Arkansas, where I am conducting the Wildlife Activity Research Project (WARP) into the biology and behavior of white-teiled deer, wild turkeys, North American black bears, bald eagles and trumpeter swans. You can join me by watching the animals for FREE at www.USeeWildlife.com

We began seeing BOARS out of den on about March 24 this year, about the same time as last year, and we are seeing more BOARS as time goes on. I think we are up to 3 boars, with one of our biggest boars probably getting killed by a hunter last fall. So, at least one of these bears may be a younger boar, checking out new areas to set up a permanent "home range". Which may be either coincidental, or was likely to occur, since one prime large (boar sized) home range is now open. WE watched 5 boars over the ager of 3 last year.

Due to a poor mast crop (hazelnut) two years ago, none of the 5 sows had cubs last spring. It has been noted in New england, tht during years of poor mast productin, sows may synchonize non-birthing, meaning they may get bred, and even concieve, but do not give birth, due to poor health, which may cause them to resorb the fetus into their own bodies, so they do not give birth.

I should have seen this coming, because three years ago every mature sow had cubs, and since they do not usually breed until the cubs are in their second year, there should not have been any cubs last spring. But, I did not know about the New England Bear Study or its conclusions. Plus I did not know how many mature sows there were, sows can breed at 2 years, whereas boars may not breed untl their 3-4 year, because they may need to have large, strong bodies to compete for dominance.)

Hopefully we will begin seeing sows with cubs, and juveniles this month (May).

If you have questions - feel free to ask here or e-mail me direct at TRMichels@yahoo.com

God bless,

T.R.
T.R. Michels
TRMichels@Yahoo.com
Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting Magazine Website
www.TRMichels.com
TRMichels
Trailblazer

Thamks

Postby duanwujie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 am

Great work on this subject ,i like it very much

-------------------------