Reloading For Accuracy.

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

Reloading For Accuracy.

Postby mortensen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

For the beginning reloader it is essential that you learn how to develope your own bullet-powder recipe's based on your shooting-hunting requirements. Once you are confortable and famaliar with these proceedures, the next consideration will be for you to develope the OAL (cartridge overall length) for your given bullet that you will be reloading. This will increase your accuracy and the longevity of your firearm.

Reloading manuals recommend specific OAL dimensions according to the industry standard (SAAMI spec) http://www.saami.org
These loads have been tested to be safe at that particular overall length, and they will always chamber in your firearm. Finding the exact 'optimum' requires a bit more information than reloading manuals provide. Finding the best OAL for your selected bullet will give you the ultimate potential in accuracy.

The way I look at it is that there isn't much choice when it comes to the seating depth of a bullet. In other words you have to take what the ogive of the bullet will give you when it makes contact with the lands (grooves). Once I determine this, I will back the bullet in (into the case) .002 so the ogive of the bullet will be seated .002 from the lands.

The main thing now is to determine your OAL. I make my own depth (cartridge) seating gauges for each type of bullet I reload. You can always purchase the OAL gauge's from Midway or other source's will also have them.

Here's a couple of old fashion methods you can use; split the case in three cuts down to the base of the shoulder. (See below site and the article will illustrate how this is done).
Place the bullet in the case about 1/8 inch. Gently chamber the cartridge and close the bolt. The bullet will move back with the ogive of the bullet stopping at the lands and move no further. This will give you your OAL. Another method would be to use a 2" long dowel rod, tape the bullet to one end of this rod and slide it into the chamber until it stops at the lands. Run a long dowel rod down from the tip of the barrel until it touches the bullet. Mark the dowel rod, end of barrel. Remove the bullet from the chamber, close the bolt and run the rod the rest of the way down until it contacts the bolt face and mark the dowel rod. The distance between the two marks will also give you your OAL. This is a method I prefer when reloading for semi or automatic firearms. PLEASE NOTE; On semi and automatic firearms, double check to be sure the new cartridge OAL will fit in your magazine, especially on mil-surps.

I usually do my OAL proceedure 4 to 5 times just to be certain that everything checks out, I also keep my firearm in the shop so I can chamber the new cartridge OAL. It's not a bad idea that once you have established the OAL, to make a dummy round, put it in a plastic bag, identify it and have it available for a reloading reference.

I hope I have explained this subject coherently. It's one of the rare topics that's easier to do than trying to explain!

Overall Length (OAL).
http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html

Reloading Glossary.
http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/terms.html
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby mortensen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Here's an example of a marksman shooting for accuracy. You'll notice that he dosen't always look through his scope when squeezing off a round. It's not a trick, it's something you can do when you have the right equipment and know how to use it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8795391569

Here is my benchrest setup with my Savage 25-06.
http://img38.imageshack.us/i/gunrange026.jpg/
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Mort any thoughts on a good 7mm load for elk, I have a friend that asked me..just wondering!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby PJGunner » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Mike Brooks wrote:Mort any thoughts on a good 7mm load for elk, I have a friend that asked me..just wondering!

Mike, I'm not Mort but I have to ask, 7MM what? Looking at this relaoding section, either we don't have very many reloaders or they don't want to share :shock: That's something I'd sure like to see improve as my main interests are guns and reloading.
Paul B.
PJGunner
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm

7MM Mag...I would love to have some people suggest idea's. I am so new to this..willing to learn!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby PJGunner » Sat May 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Mike. I apologize for not getting back more quickly. I have not loaded for the 7MM Rem. mag. yet, although I have one. Mine is a Ruger #1B. I was thinking of usings either a 160 or 175 gr. bullet, probably the Nosler partition or maybe the Hornady 175 g. Spire Point Interlock load to a safe max in that rifle, at least for elk. But then last ecember I did a ranch hunt for a cow elk and used my .35 Whelen with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet.
WOW! I've been hunting since 1949 and haven't missed all that many years to date except when I was in the military and I'm here to say that I have never, repet never had an animal of any size go down as fast or as hard as that cow elk. I'm now thinking of also trying a TSX bullet in that 7MM mag., probably the 150 or 160 gr. bullets. What little work I have done with their bullets is that 225 gr. in the Whelen and thei 100 gr. TSX in my .257 Robt. I haven't shot anything but paper with the Robt. (At east not yet.) I'm hoping to draw a deer tag this fall. For powder, you probably can't beat H4831, preferably the short cut version as the regular is a real pain where one sits when loadig ammo with that stuff. If you have an RCBS Chargemaster then it won't make any difference which 4831 you use. Just don't mix up IMR4831 data with H4831 data. Things could go south in a hurry.
sorry I'm not all that much help.
Paul B.
PJGunner
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 am

Paul, great info..amazing! Have you checked into the Barnes bullet? I have some I loaded in my 338 Win mag, did a incrediable job on the bull I shot. Had a buddy of mine put some loads together..never had a ny problems..I will start looking into the data you gave me..thank you so much, I really appreciate what info you have given me! Blessings bro..
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby PJGunner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Well I have been negligent in getting back to this site so once more Mike, I have to apologize. :oops:
I did try that 225 gr. Barnes TSX in my .35 Whelen and the load is sweetheart. I get 2700 FPS and half inch groups from my custom Mauser. I did that cow elk hunt last december and the results were spectacular.
She was maybe 150 yrds out running almost directly away from me but quartering slightly to the left. The bullet hit just behind the short ribs and exited between the neck and right shoulder. At the impact, the elk dropped so fast it looked like she bounced when she hit the ground. Needless to say I was impressed.
I still have to shoot something with the 100 gr. TSX in the .257 Robt. an I have some 120 and 140 gr. TSX to try in my 7x57.
So far though, I can say that I'm impressed with the accuracy I've gotten in the .35 and .257. I'm hoping their record will continue in the 7x57 and maybe in the .280 Rem.
Looks like I'll be staying home this year. Didn't draw for deer, elk or antelope in my home state and I'm making paymemts on a new, to me anyway truck Kind of put a kink in any out of state hunt plans. :sad:
I might head on down by the river and see if I can snag a coyote of one of the feral hogs that are supposed to be there. I don't need a license or tag to shoot one and the State of Arizona wants the eradicated. I'll be glad to help. :lol:
Paul B.
PJGunner
Junior Scout

Return to Reloading