Bullets

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

Postby silvertip » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 pm

they all want us to buy new stuff...LOL...maybe thats why I had a bullet collection that could start a sporting goods store...they play on the fact that we all believe that there is a "holy grail" out there somewhere...and the number of people that actually use a whole box of bullets before they try another are really pretty small...I confess...but thats what make handloading so much fun...

some folks say its to save money...yeah right !...I would be better off buying those super high priced round's than reloading most times if it was about bucks...it never was for me...I wanted to be a part of the equation more...and believe me the Mfgr's know this only too well...the old '06 4895 150 grain load my Dad gave to me still works great...and that was 40+ years ago...how much fun would it be to only load one bullet....even after it more than proved itself...

they keep re inventing the wheel to a great extent...and yes...we keep buying into it...remember the 5mm rimfire round...40 years later the new 17cal round...some ideas get refined...some are just excuses to make a new rifle that everyone really doesen't need...I don't mind at all...keep 'em coming...just another reason to go to the gun shop and check them out...if you notice...the 500 lb Gorilla's are still the old timers...the '06, the 45 ACP, you get the idea...both were made originally 100 years ago...and I bet they will still be around in another 100 if the Lord tarry's...did anyone even imagine how the 1911 would be such a centerpiece of the firearms world??...I never did...but look at em now...more 45ACP rounds are fired I would venture than anything in the world...at least for sporting purposes...I forgot those rag heads that shoot their guns in the air all day...LOL...what ev...John Browning must be smiling !...here's to you Sir...

all the best...t:grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Has anyone tried the new Remington Core-Lokt Ultra bullets? Even Big Green is jumping on the bonded-core express.
Smokewagon

Postby PJGunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Smokewagon wrote:SJ and Bill, don't believe everything Steve Hornady says, he is trying to sell his bullets. Hunters have found out that the SST is NOT an elk bullet. Either the Nosler Partition or AccuBond will hold up better than a SST. As far as the Hornady bonded-core Interbond, I have never heard or seen anyone in my area shoot them or even talk about them. For elk in the .30-06, stick to the 180 gr.

I use/like Hornady VMAX varmint bullets, particularly the .20-40, .224-50, and 6mm-87. However, I seldom use Hornady bullets on big-game because Nosler BT/AB/PT always group better and put the game down quickly.

I dunno. I got awfully decent penetration on a Mule Deer with the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core. The deer was facing me and the bullet hit in thechest just below the neck and I found it against a back leg which was broken by the bullet's impact. it retained 65 percent of it's original weight.
I would think that something like a 165 gr. bonded bullet or the partition would penetrate enought to bring any elk down, provided it is properly place. heck, even if you're shooting a .300 magnum or bigger, you still would have to put it in the right place.
Regarding accuracy for big game; just how much accuracy does one need? I have several rifles that will shoot well under MOA, but the last time I went hunting, there were no bench rests out in the field. I figure that for most of my hunting, a rifle that will do 1.5" is more than adequate to at least 300 yards. For hunting in heavy brush areas, 2.0" is just fine. Fortunatly all my rifles fall inthe the first category, that 1.5" or less and all are 1.25" or less, mostly less.
Let's face it, you don't need varmint accuracy for either deer or elk. Nice to have, but not necessary. I have been blessed with finding very accurate rifles and loads, and with the knowledge and patience to make those that are not, accurate as well. I still have one that eludes me, but I'll get it shooting the way I want someday. :oops: :lol:
However, to answer the question as to whether to use a 165 gr. bullet or 180 gr. bullet for elk, my vote would be for the 180 gr. bullet, given a choice of the two. Howver, if given my druthers, I'd use the 200 gr. Speer Hot-Core in the 30-06 for elk. I even use that one in my .300 Win. mag. and it works very well on them.

Paul B.
PJGunner
Junior Scout

Postby the shootist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:08 pm

What I find with the Harnady BTSP Interlocks is that they are accurate, inexpensive, and very deady as long as you don't push them too quickly. I had great success on moose with the 180 BTSP IL with 30-06 velocities - say around 2750 fps. I got a 300 WM and decided since they worked so good in the '06, they should do fine in the 300 Mag. They were still plenty accurate, but at 3140 fps, they were way too frangible. I went to Partitions in the 300 magnum UNTIL I discovered TSX's. I dropped down to 168 gr TSX and chased them along at around 3100 fps, and I am getting very good results with that as well. Great accuracy! Great penetration! NO wasted meat.

A marriage made in heaven.

I since have started using 168 TSX in the '06. Accuracy is very good, but I have yet to try it on game. I have used 150 Partitions for my wife in her '06, and they shoot around an inch sometimes better, and we are getting complete pass throughs on deer at 200 yards. Do we need more?
. . I press toward the mark . .
Philippians 3:14 (KJB)
the shootist
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Mr Shootist...its nice to see you in a friendly zone...I would encourage you to come here more often...God knows that I am a mere participant here...the guys here are a lot of fun...

check out the new area we are putting together on basic reloading...its not going to be a definitive deal...but more of a basic entry level for folks that want to get into the sport...

what are your favs??the 168 BTHP was by far the most accurate in my .308...noticeably so

like I said...thanks for your post...ted
silvertip

Postby the shootist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Ted,

Sorry you find me unfriendly.
the shootist
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:42 pm

come on...I did not say that...the other area sometimes is a bit...well...you know...more prone to theory and opinion...this is more about fun and making friends...

you will find me a great friend...why don't you come and hunt Elk with us??

Mike told me he has a few more slots...I will be your personal camp gopher...
LOL...I would love to help you whack a nice one...!!

whatever happens..its all good...just please keep posting...OK...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Shootist, the vast majority of the non-bonded core bullets were made to work at velocities UP TO 2700-2800, which is why the 6.5x55, 7 Mauser, and .308 are so deadly. When pushed over that threshhold, they will often come apart quickly, and fail to do their job. The recent bonded-core craze is the result of too many big magnums being used by gun writers and TV hosts. Readers of gun magazines and TV viewers are convinced that they can't hunt deer with anything smaller than a .300 Ultra Mag. To facilitate these hunters, and to cover those 100 yard shots on whitetails, the bullet makers came up with the bonded-core bullets to stay together under these tough conditions, as well as provide adequate penetration on bigger stuff like elk/bear/moose etc.
Smokewagon

Postby the shootist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Have to agree with you there, Smoke. If the TSX didn't shoot so well in my Tikka '06, I'd use Horn 165 IL or 180 IL. Good bullets and have resulted in several moose tenderloins passing my pallet. A buddy of mine that I load for shoots multiple moose a year with a 760 Remmy loaded with 165 gr Horn IL at close to 2800 fps (IMR4350 - 57 gr) and he rarely shoots twice at the same moose under 225 yards. Gets good penetration and also good expansion.

Velocity does demand a stouter bullet, though.
the shootist
Junior Scout

Postby the shootist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Even the old Remmy Core Lokts shot pretty good and killed very nicely, and you could buy a truck load for pennies, at one time. My rifle liked them with a moderate charge of H414 -- 1" - five shot groups were pretty common. From a hunting rifle and a hunter's scope shot from a makeshift rest, I thought it would hunt. :wink:
the shootist
Junior Scout

Previous

Return to Reloading