reloading binges.

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

reloading binges.

Postby Fourthwind » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:31 am

I went on a binge this weekend. We have an annual shoot on the 4th of July every year, and I use it typically to just have fun plinking, but for some reason I went on a reloading frenzy to work on some loads for this years hunting escapades. It started out innocent enough, but dange I looked at my boxes of loaded ammo last night and had to laugh at myself. 4 different loads of 30-06. 3 different loads of 325 WSM. loaded 30-30 rounds. Loaded 375 winchester rounds. loaded 2 variations of 270 winchester. Loaded 50 rounds of 22-250. sheesh. You get going and sometimes can't stop. I was looking around last night to see what else needed loading. could load some 38 special, but I doubt I will have time to shoot it! Anyone else getting into the fever of the upcoming season? I think I enjoy working on my loads and accuracy as much as I do the hunt.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby Carroll B » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:16 pm

I loaded some Saturday evening too. First time in about 2 years I've touched the reloading press. Got a new 7 mm Tikka last week and loaded up some rounds to sight in the new scope I bought Saturday. Hopefully the scope rings will be in before the weekend and I can burn some powder in the Fourth.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Fourthwind » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Do you have access to a chrono? If so, you give me the bullet type with the actual measured muzzle velocity, and I can send you a ballistic chart for exactly what your load will do at distances.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby Bubba » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:26 pm

I can't even find my reoading stuff right now. The garage is still packed with boxes of who knows what after the move.
I need to clean it all up and get set up so I can run some more 22-250's, have a feeling I'll be needing a bnch here pretty soon!
Bubba
Junior Scout

Postby Carroll B » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:44 am

I have a chrony. I loaded 160 gr Barnes xxx bullets, over 67 grains of, I want to say 78xx something powder. Can't remember the powder number and I'm not at home now. I was going to borrow a laser bore sighter but my friend lost all the inserts that makes it fit the barrel. I'll mount the scope and start with the target at 25 yards. Never used the chrony at the range I belong to. You are only allowed to go forward of the shooting line every half hour so it could be a long process to get the speed of the rounds. Not sure I can see the display with it set 10-15 feet from the muzzle.

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Fourthwind » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 am

Bore sight the old fashioned way. Put the rifle on a steady rest, pull the bolt, and look down the bore. Find a small spot and put it in the middle of the bore, and then adjust the crosshairs to the same spot. gets me on paper at a 100 yards every time.

Let me know if you get some speeds. I have the rcbs load computer programs that are pretty cool.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby Carroll B » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:20 am

Thanks forthwind. I'll probably set up the rest in my back yard and do like you say, remove the bolt and look down the bore. I'll contact you once I have some speeds on the bullets I loaded.

Carroll B
Senior Scout

Return to Reloading