Not totally understanding this.

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

Not totally understanding this.

Postby SJ » Fri May 30, 2008 8:24 pm

What is the point to going to the trouble of measuring distance to the lands when I have to seat my bullets to factory specs for the OAL in order for them to cycle in my rifle's magazine. Nosler gives the OAL for the 300 saum at 2.825 (this is a head to tip measurement) and that is the longest I can seat my bullets and them still clear my magazine. To the lands in this rifle using Nosler 180gr AccuBonds is 2.9915 but I have to seat the bullets to no longer than 2.825 or they won't clear the magazine and will not cycle through the gun properly so for all purposes I seat to clear the magazine regardless of how far off the lands the bullet is. It was the same way when I was reloading 180gr Scirocco 2. In order to seat just off the lands or even close to the lands I would have to shoot the rifle as a single shot.
SJ
Junior Scout

Postby Smokewagon » Sat May 31, 2008 2:27 pm

The problem is that the reamers used by the factory have too much freebore. While not conducive to the best accuracy, it does allow hot loads to bleed off some of that high pressure. WSM's, WSSM's, SAUM's and WBY's all operate at very high pressures. Rifles can still be accurate with a long jump to the lands. I have shot two different Weatherby's (.257/.270) that fired 1/2" groups with those long throats.

The only "fix" is to either have the barrel shank cut back by a thread and rechambered with a different reamer, or put a new barrel on with the right reamer.
Smokewagon

Postby SJ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Smokewagon wrote:The problem is that the reamers used by the factory have too much freebore. While not conducive to the best accuracy, it does allow hot loads to bleed off some of that high pressure. WSM's, WSSM's, SAUM's and WBY's all operate at very high pressures. Rifles can still be accurate with a long jump to the lands. I have shot two different Weatherby's (.257/.270) that fired 1/2" groups with those long throats.

The only "fix" is to either have the barrel shank cut back by a thread and rechambered with a different reamer, or put a new barrel on with the right reamer.

From what I have been able to figure out I feel that you are 100%. about to much freebore. It will shoot moa with the bullet jump so that is plenty good for hunting.
SJ
Junior Scout

Postby Woody Mortensen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:37 pm

The OAL that reloading manuals and bullet manufacturers use is pretty much the same specs that were established by SAAMI. http://www.saami.org

For Benchrest I take what the ogive will give me when it makes contact with the lands. I usually back this up 1/100 for my OAL I do the same with hunting bullets and making sure the cartridge will feed cleanly from the mag to the chamber.

Remember, the seating depth may be different on a (example) .243 Savage as would be on a .243 Remington. Manufacturers use slightly different tolerances in manufacturing regarding the chamber (throat).

http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html

"Be Blessed and Stay Prayed-up".
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Rich Coyle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 am

Woody,

Tell me about it! I and a friend took our .223's to the range. His a Ruger and mine a Savage. We had worked up load which shot in the fours. He said,
"Try one of mine. May they are good in any rifle."

There was no recoil difference, but the smoke.... It poured out form the action. I could harly open the bolt. The primer was gone and the case was very swelled. Apparently Ruger uses lots more freebore than Savage.
Jesus says, "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Apostle Paul says, "The things I write are the Lord's commands."
Rich Coyle
Junior Scout

Re: Not totally understanding this.

Postby JAMMER01 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:23 am

SJ wrote:What is the point to going to the trouble of measuring distance to the lands when I have to seat my bullets to factory specs for the OAL in order for them to cycle in my rifle's magazine. Nosler gives the OAL for the 300 saum at 2.825 (this is a head to tip measurement) and that is the longest I can seat my bullets and them still clear my magazine. To the lands in this rifle using Nosler 180gr AccuBonds is 2.9915 but I have to seat the bullets to no longer than 2.825 or they won't clear the magazine and will not cycle through the gun properly so for all purposes I seat to clear the magazine regardless of how far off the lands the bullet is. It was the same way when I was reloading 180gr Scirocco 2. In order to seat just off the lands or even close to the lands I would have to shoot the rifle as a single shot.
JAMMER01
City Slicker

O.A.L. FOR SPECIFIC GUN

Postby JAMMER01 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:55 am

l now" THIS" "T0 all know the ( A.O.L.) is diferent from firearm to firearm&this is where "your firearm" will group best,All are different.PER MANUFACTURE's: As \\ STD .they will have a variance
JAMMER01
City Slicker

Return to Reloading