Elk loads for a 7 mm

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

Elk loads for a 7 mm

Postby Carroll B » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:05 pm

I hope to "adopt" a new child in the next month or so. I've settled on a 7 mm and more then likey it will be a Tikka with stainless barrel and hopefully a laminated stock. I get a lot of satisfaction out of taking the animal with a bullet I have handloaded. Looking at the price of ammo recently handloading looks even more attractive. Looking for suggestions for loads for this caliber with an elk in mind. If you post, please state the bullet make and weight, along with the powder you like. I have a reloading manual but still like input from fellow hunters.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby silvertip » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Carroll...smokewagon is the guy to get up with on that...he is the resident bible answer man for such things...I have never owned a 7mm...I know their extra FPS velocity allows for a lighter bullet...I bet the 150+ will be the ticket...but SW will have the dope...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 pm

The Bible answer man thing is a bit of a "stretch", but the 7-mags I have had all liked Norma MRP, Reloader-22 or IMR7828. For deer use the Nosler 104-BT, and for big stuff use the Barnes 140 or 150 TSX, or Nosler 160 AccuBond. Seven mags are notorious for doing crazy things with velocity and pressure spikes, so start low and work up carefully!
Smokewagon

Postby Carroll B » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks smokewagon. I hope to get the rifle in a couple of weeks. My hunt will not be until 2009 so I can get plenty of range time to get the load dialed in. I shoot a Barnes spit-fire in my Omega and get great results on deer with it.

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:09 pm

I stand on my remark...we care very fortunate to have someone that knows his stuff so well...and who also Loves Jesus here to share and be friends...

I like to think I know what I am talking about...but I only speak on personal experience...and admittedly I have been out of the loop for a while...its nice to have some expert advice and knowledge that is not just personal opinion...but has experience & the true nuts and bolts with it...

SW you go ahed wit yo bad sef ...

pressure spikes...is that a young bull with a scrunched rack???

t :grin:
Last edited by silvertip on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:11 pm

I do appreciate your kind remarks, though. As they say, flattery will get you......... well you know.
Smokewagon

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:31 pm

a brand new 629??? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, you better take another guess!
Smokewagon

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:53 pm

OK...you cant blame a guy for trying... :sad:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Carroll, you should like that Tikka. I saw a guy shooting a .270 Tikka on Monday that was consistantly shooting 150-gr. factory ammo into 1/2" groups. A buddy in MT has a .223 Tikka Varminter, and it shoots 1/2" groups with Black Hills 50 gr loads.
Smokewagon

Postby Carroll B » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:47 am

Smokewagon, I've done a lot of research on rifles before making my choice of a Tikka. From everything I've read it is the best gun for the money. I bought a Ruger Model 77 about 4 years ago in .308. I played with different bullets and powders for 2 months before I got that gun to shoot good. (good being a relative term directly related to my ability). I finally had to remove the barrel and sand down the forearm so the barrel would float before I could get it to shoot less then a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Before I floated the barrel I was getting 2-4 inch groups. The Tikka has the barrel floated from the factory and I like the fact that it has an adjustable trigger. With my 20/20 hindsight I should have bought the Encore 8 years ago instead of the TC Omega and then I could have just bought a barrel. I do have to say I like the way the Omega "fits" me and I have total confidence that when I put the crosshairs on my game it will go down with the Omega.

Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Smokewagon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Carroll, we all have a list of what we "should have done". You are right on that Encore idea, one frame with extra barrels. Right now, guy's are doing the same thing with a Savage. You can put extra barrels on your Savage action with a kit consisting of a wrench for the barrel nut and headspace gauges for each caliber switch. Companies like ER Shaw, Shilen, and Pac-Nor make custom barrels contoured, threaded and ready to install.
Smokewagon

Return to Reloading