IronKnees nearly died today...

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

IronKnees nearly died today...

Postby Ironknees » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 am

Yesterday I could hardly walk, and this morning I felt as though I needed to get out and try to limber up... I almost ended up "toes up and pointing east"!
Believe you me, if I wasn't concerned for all involved, I'd never admit this near disaster other than having a long, long, long talk with myself..

This morning, after handloading the .30-06 rounds I intend to bring on the trip, I gathered up my range finder, rifle, ten test rounds, AND my laser bore sight... Why the bore site? My rifle has flown twice since I last sighted it in, AND because this is a different round than the scope was adjusted for... I wanted to mark the target where the laser spot is in comparison to where the reticle is set ...

For YEARS I've preached to others that the laser bore site (the type which go into the muzzle of the rifle) should be used away from the range, and NEVER taken to the shooting bench... However, this morning I took mine along, put the target on a tree, walked back using my range finder to get the proper distance, and proceed to insert the laser bore site.

A quick look through the scope showed that the scope had stayed dead on... IT WAS NOW THAT I VERY NEARLY KILLED MYSELF THIS MORNING... and the very reason I've advocated leaving the bore site at home... I loaded the rifle, found a steady rest, and took the safety off... It was only when I peered through the scope that I saw the red dot on the target!!! Had I turned the laser off, I likely would have fired my final shot...

This is a tough confession for someone like myself who has spent half a century shooting, hunting, handloading and practicing the utmost in firearms safety... Take this to heart, because I not only nearly blew my rifle up, and likely myself in the bargain.. Dave
Last edited by Ironknees on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Smokewagon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 am

Hey buddy, a wise old sage told me years ago that if you do this "gun" thing long enough, sooner or later you are going to have an "incident".

I know of a rather well-known writer that fired his M-70 .270WSM with a laser in the bore which resulted in a split barrel, and luckily, no one was hurt.

My experience with the bore laser involved some shotgun patterning work at a test facility. I was working with an employee of that company on a new Remington 1100 G3 12-GA. We had a routine down where each of us had several steps to perform before each firing, with his last step to "remove" the laser. Well, Murphy was right there assisting! On the last shot that day, not only did he forget to remove the laser, but I was watching the computer screen and didn't notice. I remember hearing a funny "noise" that didn't sound right. Of course, it was because the laser obstruction caused a barrel burst 3 inches behind the muzzle, thus ruining the barrel. Luckily, neither of us was injured.

That lab now has a bright/highly visible 8" wide round pie-plate looking collar around the new laser, so even a rank ametuer will notice the laser sticking out of the muzzle!
Smokewagon

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Dave...that is a scary story...thank God the ending is good...like CRP said...sooner or later we all make a boo boo.....I am so happy to hear you got the kind of opportunity to tell us from your house and not a hospital room...

take care...t :grin:
Last edited by silvertip on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
silvertip

Postby Rob Jones » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:53 pm

wow dave never heard of a laser and the blow up thing or was it in the end of the barel??? I guess I needed to be there I am a knucklehead :oops:
You can never walk on water if you dont step out of the boat!!
Rob Jones
Senior Scout

Postby Ironknees » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Rob, it's a laser that fits in the end of the barrel. You then start by adjusting the scope to match the laser dot... That gets you on the paper. After doing that, YOU REMOVE the laser and start shooting and adjusting the scope... After I have the scope tuned, I like to make note of the position of the laser AFTER shooting in relation to where the scope is centered... The advantage there is that you can easily check your scope after a trip or flight to make sure it's not gotten bumped...
Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby Rich Coyle » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 am

Ironknees ,

Your very exciting experience reminds me why my .454 alwaysgets loaded with snap caps prior to going back into the carrying case. My seven or eight year old nephew wanted to shoot it so I loaded up five 200 grain cast bullets to about 600 feet per second. Seeing a whole cut-bank of potential targets, like little rocks or tree roots, I asked, "What are you going to shoot at?" I wonder how I could have missed the obvious. He said, "The hill." He shot four of them and handed the Cassul back to me. Thinking he had fired all five, I put it back into its case

When we went into the house, he wanted to show his mom what he shot. As I open up the case I had just enough angle to notice the chamber next to the barrel was not empty. Realizing a .45 has more than enough power to kill, and a comprable round was ready to come to batry, I had a very major adrenalin rush.

Just like in your case, there was an abundance of excitement, but no excitment for others. It is very satisfying to be safe.
Jesus says, "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Apostle Paul says, "The things I write are the Lord's commands."
Rich Coyle
Junior Scout

Return to Reloading