.308 Winchester

Share techniques for reloading, where to get the best reloading equipment, and share tips with fellow hunters.

Moderator: Ironknees

Postby silvertip » Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 pm

I got my first .308 Win when I was still in high school(1970)...it was the second center fire I ever owned, my first was a 30/30...my Dad had to sign for it for me because I was only 15...a Rem 788...that gun was a tack driver...especially with the 150 grain sierra bullets and BLC#2 powder...that gun did everything that could be asked for on Maryland Deer and varmints...especially for a reloader it is a very versatile cartridge ...

My Dad liked shooting it too because he liked the cartridge from military days...I think he shot the 7.62 bullet in the service...it is also the first cartridge I ever reloaded...so it will always have a special place for me...

the Rem 700 SA is a great action...and what I am using on my new 6mm Rem varmint unit...which may actually be a 243 instead...that vote is still going on...the electrical college is stuck on twist rates & bullet weights...LOL...

all the best...t :grin: :grin:
silvertip

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I love the M1 Garand, it is an amazing rifle from D-day to the battle of the Bulge. The military aspect of the 06, is awesome. :cool:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Smokewagon » Wed May 28, 2008 8:36 pm

If I were going into battle, the .308 would be a lot more comforting than the .223 (5.56mm).
Smokewagon

Postby PJGunner » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Silvertip said, "it is the exact same reason that I would never use as role models any hunters from the past that did similar things...whats done is done...our goal on this forum is to be as positive as possible in our portrayal of our sport...many more visitors use this site than registered users, and we want to be ambassadors in every way showing how Christians that are also sportsman act responsibly...and do not endorse any thing questionable....the reason for what I said is to underwrite our stand on such things by this ministry..."

The point that was trying to be made was that a 220 gr. bullet from the .308 was a viable option. That Bell, for want of some other corroberation was used as the example that such a loading would work by no means condones what he did at the turn of the 20th century.
First off, thee xperiments were started because I'm a somewhat curious fellow and when all these "Eggs-purts" in the gun rags say it can't be done, well I wanted to know why? Then, just a short while back, a fellow wanted to know if anyone had tried it in a rifle with a short barrel, his was a Ruger 77 RSI with 18.5" barrel, so I passed the information on about what I had done. He wanted data using a different powder that what I'd used, so as I had the same type rifle, I did the work up with the powder he wanted to use and passed that along. Apparently the country he was hunting in is very thick and about all the shots you get are Texas heart shots.
The only reason this converstaion has gone this far is you seemed to be rather upset that anyone would want to shoot that heavy a bullet from the .308. Probably a simple, "Why not?" would have been sufficient, but what are these forums for, if not to learn. All I did was shoot down one of the sacred cow gun myths that have been floating around since the .308 appeared on the scene. What, may I ask was wrong with that?
If I have offended you in any way, I certainaly apologize. :oops:
Paul B.
PJGunner
Junior Scout

Previous

Return to Reloading