How to walk your way back to health and feeling better!

Having trouble keeping in shape? We can help each other...even if you're not overweight, we all need healthy hearts and lungs and muscles.

Moderators: Mike Brooks, Gary

Do you walk for exercise?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes : 9

How to walk your way back to health and feeling better!

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:55 pm

Believe it or not, walking is the best way to get back into shape. Its safe, you don't need a membership to walk. No special equipment needed. If you want help and encouragement let's figure out what kind of shape you are in and put together a walking program just for you. Walking has helped me a great deal to lose weight, I felt so much better after losing 40 pounds. Are you ready? Take that first step and let's get started!

The Absolute Beginner Schedule
Health goals: Walking a half hour a day or 3 hours per week is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. Walking 7 hours a week is associated with a decreased risk of breast cancer and Type II diabetes. For this reason, I recommend that you build up to walking an hour a day, most days of the week.
Track your walks: Keeping records will keep you on track.

Build a Habit: Walk at least 5 days a week, even if some days you must decrease your time, in order to build your new healthy habit.

Increase the time you spend walking each week before working on speed.
Week 1: Start with a daily 15 minute walk at an easy pace.
Walk five days the first week. We want to build a habit, so consistency is important. Spread out your rest days, such as making day 3 a rest day and day 6 a rest day.
Weekly total goal: 60 - 75 minutes.

Week 2: Add 5 minutes a day so you are walking 20 minutes, 5 days a week. Or you may wish to extend yourself more on some days, followed by a rest day.
Weekly total goal: 75 - 100 minutes.

Week 3: Add 5 minutes a day so you are walking 25 minutes, 5 days a week.
Weekly total goal: 100 - 125 minutes.

Week 4: Add 5 minutes a day to walk 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
Weekly total goal: 125 - 150 minutes.

Snags:If you find any week to be difficult, repeat that week rather than adding more time, until you are able to progress comfortably.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby highnoonhunter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 pm

Very good suggestions there Mike.

I went to the doc today and he said I needed to start back walking. I actually started this evening. Although it wasn't outside. It was on one of those Gazelle doohickeys. Ain't nearly as fun as walking out side.

Hopefully I'll get back to my regular schedule before too long. I sure feel better when I'm walking every day.

hnh
highnoonhunter
Senior Scout

walking

Postby Lamgodad1 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:49 pm

I did go out walking to break in my new hunting boots. My children liked to go with me. We would leave at 6am and walk for about one hour, and yes, I did feel better. I am planning on getting back to that after the first of the year. The only major problem is time management. I have to make sure to be in bed early enough to wake up and go. Lots of self control.
Lamgodad1
City Slicker

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Lamgo, that's a good start, just do the best you can and add extra days and minutes when you can.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 am

The walking is working, have started to see some weight drop and feel better.
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby chester12 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks I was looking for something like that.

Chester
chester12
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 am

This is just a check in, how is everyone doing with their walking? I am doing pretty well, will work on 60 minutes of walking this week. Let me know how you all are doing!
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Ironknees » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm

I've started walking daily... Yesterday I did 1.20 miles, today I did 1.31 miles, and tomorrow I'll add just a little more... Interestingly, I can feel it in pretty much all areas including my abs and gluts... The knees are holding up well with it, and the weigh it starting to come off as well... With all the time between now and the 2008 hunt, I should be changed considerably from last year... Dave

Ironknees
Site Admin

Postby 45auto » Tue May 13, 2008 10:26 pm

I walk a least 2 miles a day with my job.
45auto

Postby silvertip » Tue May 13, 2008 11:01 pm

I walk about 1 mile a day with my work...t
silvertip

Return to Exercise