God and Nature.

Having trouble with prayer and Bible study? Looking for help? We can help each other. This is not the place to discuss theology...it's a place to improve your self-discipline and encourage others.

Moderators: pastorgreg, George Reinbold

God and Nature.

Postby mortensen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am

GOD AND NATURE:

Have you ever watched squirrels busily engaged in gathering nuts (acorns) and searching furiously for suitable buriel grounds. Did you know the Indians used to watch the squirrels and chipmunks and gauge the probable severity of the winter to come by their activity? If they were very busy, it presaged a hard winter, and vice versa. It seems so remarkable that God has given these little creatures a kind of built-in wisdom which tells them what to do, as we seem so poorly equipped by contrast.

Ah... but here comes the skepticism. Do you know that they most likely forget where they hide half of them? It's a pity God didn't make them altogether wise and give them better memories. Now this whole matter is becoming a little disconcerting and you wondered why God should have given them the instincts they had and not make these instincts more reliable.

God's response came from a magazine called Science Digest, and it had an article in it that was an extract from Forestry Digest, which was titled 'Chipmunks and Squirrels Plant 17,000 Tree's per Acre.' The statement came from two research workers that found chipmunks and squirrels plant about 17,000 trees per acre as a result of 'forgetting' where they put their food (nuts).

What appears as a failure on the part of these little creatures turns out to be an illustration of a far superior kind of wisdom because they are, in effect, contributing towards the well-being of other creatures in the closely-knit kingdom of nature. Thus, the satisfying picture of God's superintending providence in Nature was once more restored.

Woody Mortensen
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 am

Mortensen, I love your story and boy does it bring back lots of fine memories of watching squirrels back home in Wisconsin. I have to thank these critters for the mighty Oak Forests they have helped plant. My favorite tree is the red oak, strong and majestic. Thanks for the reminder, I have spent many a day sitting in an old oak tree deer hunting back in Wisconsin!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Amy Fales » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 am

Those little squirrels and chipmunks have no idea how God is using them in His grand plan.
We have been blessed with the intelligence to see it though.

That should be a wonderful reminder to us when we feel "little" and clueless. We may have no idea how God is using each of us uniquely in His grand plan, but we can have comfort by just knowing that He is!
Last edited by Amy Fales on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established
Proverbs 4:26
Amy Fales
Junior Scout

Postby mortensen » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 am

I've written several of the God and Nature stories and hope to use them more in Outdoor Ministries. Kids love stories and there's always a message in them.
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am

Mort, post them here..there awesome, keep up the great writing, that make me think about God and Nature!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Prayer & Bible Study