Advice for getting started

Having trouble with prayer and Bible study? Looking for help? We can help each other. This is not the place to discuss's a place to improve your self-discipline and encourage others.

Moderators: pastorgreg, George Reinbold

Advice for getting started

Postby Jeremie76 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 am

Well, in the past I have been one who slacked off a while on my devotion and bible reading. For anyone who has slipped into this trap (I dare say all of us have at one point or another) I started off by setting my alarm an extra 15-20 minutes early than I was before when I was not reading my bible daily. I got right up, put on a pot of coffee (decaf now), and grabbed my bible. I start off with a prayer for God to open my heart and help me take away with what I am supposed to learn from his word, then picked a book of the bible and read 2-3 chapters depending on how much time I have. I try to leave myself enough time in the morning to reflect on what I read and meditate on it. This helped me get started.

I now get up an hour and a half early (unless I am sick, like I am now), and do a 20-30 min workout, then make some breakfast and follow the above routine. But the hardest part is getting started again after you have developed a bad habit of reading your bible once in a while. The hardest part is making up your mind to do it. Once you do it for 2-3 days it feels natural and after 21 days it turns into a habit.
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 am

Great advice Jeremie, hope this helps others who struggle with missed devotions!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Prayer & Bible Study