[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
COFA: Christian Outdoor Fellowship of America - Live the Experience! • View topic - Advice for getting started

Advice for getting started

Having trouble with prayer and Bible study? Looking for help? We can help each other. This is not the place to discuss theology...it's a place to improve your self-discipline and encourage others.

Moderators: pastorgreg, George Reinbold

Advice for getting started

Postby Jeremie76 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 am

Well, in the past I have been one who slacked off a while on my devotion and bible reading. For anyone who has slipped into this trap (I dare say all of us have at one point or another) I started off by setting my alarm an extra 15-20 minutes early than I was before when I was not reading my bible daily. I got right up, put on a pot of coffee (decaf now), and grabbed my bible. I start off with a prayer for God to open my heart and help me take away with what I am supposed to learn from his word, then picked a book of the bible and read 2-3 chapters depending on how much time I have. I try to leave myself enough time in the morning to reflect on what I read and meditate on it. This helped me get started.

I now get up an hour and a half early (unless I am sick, like I am now), and do a 20-30 min workout, then make some breakfast and follow the above routine. But the hardest part is getting started again after you have developed a bad habit of reading your bible once in a while. The hardest part is making up your mind to do it. Once you do it for 2-3 days it feels natural and after 21 days it turns into a habit.
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 am

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Prayer & Bible Study