Calling in Predators

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Calling in Predators

Postby photoman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:45 pm

I am a nature photographer and want to use a predator caller to bring in bobcats, coyotes, and hopefully a cougar. I am hoping someone could offer me some pointers on how to effectively use this method. The caller I own is a a Cass Creek Nomad MX4 Remote Transmitter and Receiver. It includes 5 calls (Jack Rabbit, Cottontail, Coyote Howl, Pup Yips, and Fawn Distress). Thanks for any suggestions.
Photoman: "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
photoman
Junior Scout

Postby rainshadow1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Photoman,

Set-up is everything. From a Macro perspective, to a Micro perspective, and everything in between. i.e. From the area you choose actually containing target animals, to how quietly you sneak in, and still you sit, in the stand you choose, in the spot you chose, looking the direction you decided to look... It's all about the details.

The Cass Creek isn't a high end e-call by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a remote, and the HUGE benefit is that it gets the sound away from you, so you have a tiny bit of freedom to move and make a few mistakes. If it was me, I'd use it in tandem with hand calls, which are likely more realistic sounding, and much louder.

Don't quote me to the call making companies, and my fellow call makers, but the sound you make really doesn't make much difference in most cases. There's variants on this of course, sound quality, volume, the sounds themselves, appropriate vocalizations per species per season, etc., but in a nutshell, distress is distress... and a howl is a howl... whether it comes from your voice, a $20 hand call, a $50 Cass Creek, or a $850 Wildlife Technologies TOA horn.

Where and how you set up are far more important.

Work the wind, carefully, for Coyotes. Best noses in the business.

For Cats, get right into their cover, don't expect to call them across the open praries... but ignore the wind, they don't bother to use it. They're all eyes and ears.

We're working into the breeding season for both Coyotes and Bobcats. Which is very good. Lots of activity. Howl for Coyotes. Anything for Bobs, they'll be active and burning lots of calories. (Cougars breed whenever, so there's no predictable season.)

Hope to see some of your shots!
- - Steve

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com/calls
www.rain-shadow.com/knives
rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Calling in Predators

Postby photoman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 am

Rainshadow1,
Thanks for the very informative and detailed response. It all makes sense and looks like I have some planning and work to do. I have provided a link to my website to show you some of the Coyote shots I have obtained recently without using any calling. I am hoping this calling approach will yield me even greater results, including variety of shots. Thanks again.

URL to My Coyote Images:
http://www.greensphotoimages.com/ronsga ... coyote.htm
Photoman: "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
photoman
Junior Scout

Postby rainshadow1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 am

Nice Ron!

Don't overlook the lip-squeak to get their noses right in your lens! They won't be in close long, but 2 to 5 yards is alarmingly common when all other factors are in place.
- - Steve

rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Calling in Predators

Postby photoman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks Steve. If you don't mind a few more questions I would appreciate your input. IN advance, I apologize for that they are so basic.

1) What is a "lip-squeak" and how is it produced?

2) When I am using the caller (e.g. Cottontail), how often do I play it and how much time between each call event? Is there any guidelines on that aspect?

3) Are there times and places (e.g. State Park) where I am not supposed to or it is illegal to use the caller even though I am using it for non hunting purposes?

Thanks for all your help/
photoman
Junior Scout

Postby rainshadow1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm

1.) A high pitched kissing sound, made to emulate a mouse or vole. Use it as a coaxer, if your stand, and camo, and wind direction, and etc. are all favorable, you'll likely get them into your lap with it.

2.) Lots of schools of thought, some say run it loud and constant, some say 30 second then shut up for 3 minutes then repeat.
Some say shut it off as soon as you see the animal, some say keep it on.
For photographing, I'd say shut it off as soon as you see the animal committing, and then go to coaxing (lip squeaks are excellent) to get your "subject" to make different and better poses. You can also coax with the e-call to get them to focus away from you.

3.) Not that I've heard of. Some may think you're hunting, but when they see your camera gear, I can't imagine you'd have a problem. I'd say if it's not posted or printed, then go for it.
- - Steve

rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby SavageHunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am

Rainshadow1 has given you some very good adivse, and I have to agree with him on setup. Setup IS the most important aspect to hunting predators.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Calling Predators and the Lip Squeal

Postby photoman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:42 am

Any suggestion on a good mechanical device I could use to make the lip sqeal other than with my lips? I wear full dentures and they tend to be a problem, at least for now when I try and make the squeal sounds. It comes out sounding more like a human in distress due to loose dentures.
photoman
Junior Scout

Postby SavageHunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 pm

I don't know of a mechanical device, but a lot of guys will "kiss" the back of their hand to achieve the effect.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby rainshadow1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:22 am

They make a squeeze bulb coaxer, you can double stick tape it to your tripod or something and coax without much movement at all. The kissy works just as good.
- - Steve

rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby Lizette » Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 am

Actually, new electronic 'predator' calls on the market and sound good and work perfectly well for you in certain situations.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 am

I've never done any predator hunting but now we have coyotes and a wolf on the farm in Va its time.
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting