Bear meat?

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Bear meat?

Postby Deerslayer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I am not sure where to post this so I will post it here for lack of a better choice. It looks like I may finally after years of applyng draw a bear tag next year in WI. I have never shot a bear before and was wondering what most people do with the meat? I tried some stew once at a wild game feed that was made from bear meat and it was good but do you just cut it up like you would a deer, which is usually chops steaks and hamburger for me or do you do something different? Can you make sausage out of bear meat? Any advice that anyone could give would be appreciated.
Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Postby davidlt89 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

but do you just cut it up like you would a deer, which is usually chops steaks and hamburger for me or do you do something different?

bear is pretty similar to a deer when cutting it up. every bear I get I cut it into chunks, like stew meat. that is how I fry it. I put it in olive oil, add some garlic, onion salt, and season salt. top off with onions and I could eat the whole bear this way. I am not much for "steak", much prefer sausage and hamburder.
Can you make sausage out of bear meat

of course you can my friend!!!! I don't do it a lot of years just because I do not have a grinder and I am in a hurry to cut it up because it is hot out. I would also do my whole bear in hamburger, I like it much more than deer hamburger, in fact, I prefer bear over deer. hamburger allows you to cook a multitude of things. Not to mention they are super fun to hunt. Good luck my friend and keep us updated. God Bless.
Psalm 27:13

13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.
davidlt89
Senior Scout

Postby Deerslayer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:31 am

David thanks for the info! I will find out in February whether I actually drew the tag or not. The DNR here has finally figured out that there are a lot more bears around and a lot less deer than they have been saying all along and plan to adjust the quota accordingly. I have applied for seven years now and Lord willing I should draw a bear tag. I can't wait to to try the meat.
Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Postby Deerslayer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Well now I get to try bear meat for real. The Lord blessed me with this bear on Wednesday which was the opening day of bear season here in WI.

Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:47 am

Deerslayer, bear meat is great. Don't listen to the old stories that its greasy, has a bad taste. I have lots of bear and find its some of the best meat available to feast on.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting