Getting The Bug

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Getting The Bug

Postby SavageHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:26 am

We seem to be experiencing an early fall! Normally in September, the temperatures are still in the upper 90's and even 100's, however, so far this Sept. the temp's are around the 70's with lows in the mid 50's, and the leaves on the trees are even beginning to fall. :shock:

All of this fall "like" weather is really starting to give me the huntin' bug BAD! If this keeps up, I may just have to get out and try to call a few coyotes.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 am

Mike, the coyotes are yelping even more now that we had snow, what calls work well for bringing them in? Any thoughts? :cool:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby SavageHunter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 am

Mike, in my part of the country during this time of year, distress calls are my bread and butter. Later in the year (Feb. Mar.) coyote vocals will work well.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Mike hows the coyote hunting in your neck of the woods? I am hearing them on the mountain.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Bubba » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 pm

We were out goose hunting Saturday. The action was pretty slow and we had just called hard at a flock that passed us by. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a coyote coming into the decoys about 100 yds away and moving FAST! He made it to 60 yds before he figured something was up and turned tail. My buddy shot three times and peppered his rear but he made it out. We got a good laugh from that!
Sunday, same pit, smaller spread of deeks. Had a lul in the activity and noticed another coyote (or maybe the same one?) coming in the SAME TRAIL as the day before! He hung up at about 100 yds. I told my son and buddy to get in the pit and close the lids cause this time I had the .223 with me. He started back the way he came and I hit him with the call and he stopped broadside at 125 yds or so. I settled my crosshairs on him as sweet as can be and BOOM!!!!! MISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had another good laugh about that.
I figure he did that two days in a row so he should show up again this Saturday!!! This time I'll get him!
Bubba
Junior Scout

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting