Coyotes in the hood !

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Coyotes in the hood !

Postby silvertip » Thu May 08, 2008 7:49 pm

saw on Fox News this morning a few cases of coyotes trying to drag little kids off...unreal !San Diego and also Vegas area...

we are here to do our job!
silvertip

Postby slingshot » Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 pm

How close would you have to get to shoot one with a spear gun?
slingshot
Senior Scout

Postby silvertip » Fri May 09, 2008 5:28 am

a spearguns range is only about 25 feet max...but I was thinking of a different approach...t :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
silvertip

Postby slingshot » Fri May 09, 2008 7:30 am

I knew they were short range weapons, but I didn't know it was that short.

I suspected you were planning something different.

How about bow and arrow? I've never heard of anyone doing it that way...seems like it would be very challenging. Do you know if it has been done?
slingshot
Senior Scout

Postby silvertip » Fri May 09, 2008 7:35 am

Hi Sling...actually 25 feet underwater is pretty far...sometimes visibility is not even that good...

actually one of the spots I bowhunt is strictly bow hunting...and lots of pred opp's...now thats a real hunt !...foxes and 'yotes are as slick as any big buck...and a much smaller target...t
silvertip

Re: Coyotes in the hood !

Postby Woody Mortensen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 am

[quote="silvertip"]saw on [b]Fox News[/b] this morning a few cases of coyotes trying to drag little kids off...[b]unreal ![/b]San Diego and also Vegas area...

we are here to do our job![/quote]

You can take all the coyote incidents of killing or injuries to livestock and domestic pets and they would make a tiny, tiny fraction compared to attacks on humans (including children) and domestic pets made by pitbulls.

"An army of sheep led by a lion will defeat a army of lions led by a sheep."
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Woody Mortensen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 am

[quote="slingshot"]How close would you have to get to shoot one with a spear gun?[/quote]

Yikes!
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Fourthwind » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:57 pm

I have seen FAR more cat, fox, and coyote attacks here in CO than Pit bulls. Don't blame the animals. Blame the society that has encroached on their turf, and then will not allow proper control methods. Personally I am getting tired of the whole pit bull junk. Seems like CA has been trying to find way's to outlaw any kind of dog. I remember back when they tried making it illegal to "force" a dog to retrieve a dead or wounded bird as it was inhumane to the DOG. That was a little tid bit the beurocrats tried mixing in with one of those "pit bull" laws. Sorry about the thread Hijak. just caught a nerve.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby Woody Mortensen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm

[quote="Fourthwind"]I have seen FAR more cat, fox, and coyote attacks here in CO than Pit bulls. Don't blame the animals. Blame the society that has encroached on their turf, and then will not allow proper control methods. Personally I am getting tired of the whole pit bull junk. Seems like CA has been trying to find way's to outlaw any kind of dog. I remember back when they tried making it illegal to "force" a dog to retrieve a dead or wounded bird as it was inhumane to the DOG. That was a little tid bit the beurocrats tried mixing in with one of those "pit bull" laws. Sorry about the thread Hijak. just caught a nerve.[/quote]

In reference to coyotes; Statistically, there have been more pit bull attacks on humans, including children than coyotes. Just ask the USPS and the mail carriers. And I don't blame the pit bulls but the mentality of the owners who have pit bulls.

Kindly document your assertion that "California has been trying to find ways to outlaw any kind of dog". Nice slam Fourthwind.

"Be blessed and stay prayed-up".
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Woody Mortensen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm

[quote="Fourthwind"]I have seen FAR more cat, fox, and coyote attacks here in CO than Pit bulls. Don't blame the animals. Blame the society that has encroached on their turf, and then will not allow proper control methods. Personally I am getting tired of the whole pit bull junk. Seems like CA has been trying to find way's to outlaw any kind of dog. I remember back when they tried making it illegal to "force" a dog to retrieve a dead or wounded bird as it was inhumane to the DOG. That was a little tid bit the beurocrats tried mixing in with one of those "pit bull" laws. Sorry about the thread Hijak. just caught a nerve.[/quote]

In reference to coyotes; Statistically, there have been more pit bull attacks on humans, including children than coyotes. Just ask the USPS and the mail carriers. And I don't blame the pit bulls but the mentality of the owners who have pit bulls.

Kindly document your assertion that "California has been trying to find ways to outlaw any kind of dog". Nice slam Fourthwind.

"Be blessed and stay prayed-up".
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Fourthwind » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm

It's no joke Woody. if you think I am slamming you and CA than go look somewhere else. You are odviously used to forums that like to fight. I lived in San Jose / Morgan Hill for 25 years. I was an an active grass roots political pain in the burocrats butt for many years. I am also working for the Colorado Division of wildlife. I can tell you that the CA legistlature did indeed try these types of acts and continue to do. I can also tell you that in the week I helped out in our Customer Service center that we took in more calls on aggressive coyote's than a mail man's worst nightmare. Only problem is the media loves domestic attacks because they have someone they can blame.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby Woody Mortensen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:49 am

If you are talking about the aggressive behavion of coyotes then you are correct as the coyote is becoming more wolf like in it's characteristics due in part to it's expansion into suburbia

Let's take dogs in general:
There are approx 74.8 million dogs in the United States. Atlanta (CDC) concluded that dogs bite nearly 2% of the U.S. population, almost 800,000 bites per year and one out of six (368,000) are serious and treated at hospital emergency departments annually. A conservative estimate would be that approx 25-30 percent of these attacks were commited by pit bulls. Statistics have lumped the rottweiler and pit bull together to account for 67% of fatal dog attacks on humans and children.
Oddly enough, parents kill more children than do pit bulls and rottweilers put together.
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Pit bull attacks on mail carriers is not uncommon. Pit bulls can easily weigh over 100 pounds and can do a real number on mauling their victim. The Southern California coyote will usually weigh between 25 to 30 pounds.
There were some pictures on the internet of a postal worker who was mauled that would make a billy-goat puke.
Postman recovering from pit bull attack:
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/23 ... -pitbull23

Coyote Attacks:
This is an article from 'Desert USA'.
Coyote attacks on humans and pets have increased within the past 5 years in California. Forty-eight such attacks on children and adults were verified from 1998 through 2003, compared to 41 attacks during the period 1988 through 1997; most incidents occured in Southern California near suburban-wildland interface.
Out of 89 coyote attacks in California, 56 of the attacks caused injury to one or more people. Out of those that caused injury, 55% were attacks on adults. In 35 incidents, where coyotes stalked or attacked small children, the possibility of serious or fatal injury seemed likely if the child had not been rescued. Over the past 10 years I can only come with approx 2 or 3 coyote attacks that were fatal.
http://www.desertusa.com/june96/coyotes_and_people.html

Regarding your reference to dogs retrieving dead or wounded birds being inhumane and being introduced in California. I vaguely recall this incident and I beleive it was initially introduced by PETA or was introduced to the politicians who were going to sponsor it by PETA. I don't beleive this resolution or bill even made it to the legislature for consideration. If it did it's history.

I do consider your initial post to me a 'slam' . The discussion was regarding coyotes and then you injected some of the politic's of California. Obviously you noted I was from the high desert of California.
Now your suggesting I should remove myself from this form if I don't meet your criterion?

I'm presently going out of town (today) and won't be back until next weekend. If you can respectfully hold your reply to this post until I return, we can then resume this topic.

"Be Blessed and Stay Prayed-up".
Woody Mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Fourthwind » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:19 pm

It's ok woody. you odviously have your belief's, and I have mine. we should leave it at that. I have spent to much time in the field to believe in statistics drawn out by the media. I will just refrain from viewing or commenting on your posts.
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting