rimfire rig

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

rimfire rig

Postby silvertip » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:51 am

I just put a scope I picked up from someone in our own classifieds ...its a 6 - 24 BSA...an economic , but very nice unit...I did something that I had played around with in my mind for a while...I have a vintage Ruger 77/22 that I bought over twenty years ago...a super fine 22 rimfire...Its primary use has been varmint hunting in areas where I was not allowed to use centerfire boomers...I also used to shoot gray squirrels too...its a very accurate unit.

the old Ruger and the new glass...

A lot of Dairy's and crop farms in my area either just don't want big guns being fired or local laws prohibit their useage. So it is the ticket...

I have just had a small 4X on it since I bought it...now with this big glass it has the appearance of one of the more conventional varmint units...just a smaller package...

one of my favorite's, "a country boy shooting bench"...this and a 5 gallon bucket make a great combo !

after sighting it in, I started to see what the higher magnification would do...since I use a bi pod and rear bag the gun stays very solid...what was amazing is that I was shooting 125 yards and able to see impacts because of the extra power...kind of like having a spotting scope at the same time...something I never did before...three shot groups were between 7/8" -1 1/2" at 125-145 yards...fine for head shots only...but at 75-85 yards (the range I like best w/ the rimfire) maybe not driving tacks, but for sure common nails...

a typical groundhog hole in a "no till" field...not a wise location...

its a specialty task unit for sure...but some of the best hunting can take place in areas where our other gear cannot be used...for those that like to hunt 'chucks especially, some farmers may allow you to hunt their alfalfa fields if you tell them you use rimfire only...especially you folks that hunt dairy country...or around chicken farms as well...( they don't like loud noises either)
Last edited by silvertip on Thu May 01, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Pretty nice lookin' rig Ted!
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 am

thanks...as you can see Mike...I figured out the pics...the calls are next...t
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Thu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm

You know, that 6-24 might not be enough scope on that .22. Have you thought about getting an 8-32 with AO/BDC/holdover dots etc?
Smokewagon

Postby silvertip » Thu May 01, 2008 3:35 pm

we are not doing dental work on chucks...just ushering them into the next life...

you are a smart alec ! t :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Thu May 01, 2008 8:14 pm

ST I've found just what you need. The Swarovski PV-S, 6-24x50, illuminated reticle, target knobs and TDS-41 holdover dots. Maybe the factory can set up the 77/22 to work with a 200-yard zero???
Smokewagon

Postby silvertip » Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm

I believe the 1.5 Terry Bradshaw is my limit w/ the rimfire... but I would be more than glad to be the factory tester on such a set up...why not call Sturm and tell him silvertip is ready to sign up ! and I would need a second mortgage to sport that glass ! so maybe call them up too while you are at it.... :grin: :grin: :grin:
silvertip

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting