Your Choice Of Back Up Gun

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Your Choice Of Back Up Gun

Postby SavageHunter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:25 pm

What is your choice of back up gun for those close up coyotes?

Not wanting to carry two long guns (rifle and shot gun), here is what I recently purchased as my short yardage gun for the up coming season.

It is a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt.

Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 am

Mike...that is a bute'...seems like new handguns are in the air...and that is I believe Rugers sharpest looking model for sure...that checkering is super...and the styling of the cylinder-barrel area is something I wish they did on their redhawks...SmokeW has one too...and has some great loads for it...is that the 5 1/2" ??...there are some real nice holster / belt combos made for that style unit too...

I must admit I dont generally have an extra weapon...when I use archery gear its not allowed here...but with the 22 or centerfire it would be fun to have the sidearm too...

next season I am working on getting a new 243...I used my R-77 in 22/250 for years...but since I am moving out west a good plains gun that could be good for varmints & pronghorn would make sense...also the heavier bullets are better in wind etc...a lot of nice models around nowadays with cool stocks and bull barrels...the Ruger or Remington are most likely the choice...the new laminated thumbhole stock are nice...I tried out a few at (gun heaven) ...bass pro def has better prices at least at the ones I looked at in Denver and also on the east coast...but that my friend is fodder for another thread !!

all the best...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Thank you Theodore! Yes it's a 5 1/2" barrel...it seemed to have the best balance for me. Buying reloading equipment, and components for the 45 Colt was a little difficult (everything was on back order). It took me awhile but, I did finally manage to put everything together and load up a few rounds. I will have to hit up SmokeWagon and see if he has any ideas about working up a good load for it.

The .243 is hard to beat, IMO. I have had one for a few years and wouldn't trade it for anything (except for maybe a nicer one, LOL).

Where out west are you moving to?
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Mike...Smoke has some real hard hitters for that unit( the 45 colt)...he should be back wendsday...I know he will jump in on this with both feet...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Mike, I like any of the cowboy type 250gr hard-cast bullets with 8.0 of W231 or HP-38. These are very mild and go around 800 fps out of a 5 1/2" gun, and would thump any coyote good at close range. For the big stuff, I use the heavier Cast-Performance bullets with Hodgdon Lil'Gun. CP has the data for these loads. For non-loaders, Cor-Bon makes several heavy .45C loads that shoot well.
Smokewagon

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Hey Smokewagon...my first loadings were with a 250gr hard-cast bullet in front of 7.0 gr of Hodgdon Universal. Have you had any experience with Universal, and how do you think this load will perform?
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:43 pm

I carry a S&W model 66 357 2 1/2 barrel or a Ruger Mk2 4in barrel pistol
Bill
Junior Scout

Postby Smokewagon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

Mike, since UClays is slower-burning than 231, your loads would be slower in velocity too. I have not used UClays in the 45C, but use it in .40 and .45ACP loads. I don't like a lot of airspace in the big revolver cases. The new Trail Boss from IMR is said to be good.
Smokewagon

Postby SavageHunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Hey Bill, have you had an opportunity to use your 357 on a coyote? I am curious how much damage the heaver hand guns would do to the hides?

Smoke, the large amount of air space was the first thing I noticed when I started filling the cases, and I wasn't to thrilled about it myself. I went with the Universal because, like you said, that is what I use for my 45ACP and I already had some on hand. I've shot about 100 rounds with that load and it seemed to do ok but, if the W231 fills the case better I may have to give it a try on my next loading. Thanks for the tips!
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:41 pm

Mike I told you about SW...he is the Bible Answer Man on gun stuff...we are lucky to have him here...t :grin:
silvertip

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting