Predatory Hunting Roll Call

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Postby silvertip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm

SW...tally ho...either I missed them or it is a geographic thing...

I do have one story that is a bit funny...before all the new recording devices they used to sell old style turntables that were kind of weatherized...yep...believe it or not...and Johhny Syewart made these 45rpm records you played to call in predators...OK...we had a few of them...and some would get the tree huggers real upset nowadays...

like I have said in an earlier post I raised many different animals...and rabbits were one type...so I knew the sounds they make...on one of the Johnny Stewart records you could hear them beating some poor old rabbit to get him to squeal... we laughed back then...but now I think a bit different...wow how times have changed...the world of varmint hunting has for sure gone through some changes...I really don't like the recordings anyway...I can call like I want...when I want...and also respond to animals that come in...

I just wish fur was worth more money...I would do a lot more hunting for prime fur...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:46 pm

The Tally-Ho is one that I have not tried...I need to add one to my bag. I know they have a long history of producing coyotes.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 pm

spearotiki wrote:...on one of the Johnny Stewart records you could hear them beating some poor old rabbit to get him to squeal...

Theodore, I always wondered how they managed to be in the woods at just the right time to catch those critters squealing. lol
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Mike...we all knew it was a bit strange...God bless those poor rabbits...life in the 70's was for sure different...whats so strange is we all wondered how they could get away with it...even then...

it gives the squeak and squall a new meaning...ted... :grin:

BTW...I just signed up for photobucket...so watch out...strap your seat belts on...we are going back in the past...t :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Last edited by silvertip on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 pm

spearotiki wrote:BTW...I just signed up for photobucket...so watch out...strap your seat belts on...we are going back inn the past...t :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well alright, lets go! I like to see them pics, furs, guns, calls, etc...lets see em'! :grin:
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 pm

OK...I got the account...but how do I attach the pics???t :sad:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50 ... /trap1.jpg

this is a pic from the old trap line...this was when furs were worth something...a nice red...I am working on getting the pics to post in the topic area...please be patient with me...
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 pm

T, that is a cool picture!

When you are in PhotoBucket, just click one time on the "IMG Code" box and this will automatically copy the code you need to clipboard. Then go to your post and right click and paste. Hope this helps!
Last edited by SavageHunter on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

thanks Mike...you think it was hard or something...I am going to export pics for the forum...please don't tell anyone OK...LOL...t :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
silvertip

Postby rainshadow1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey guys! Just checking in! Hope to get more familiar with this site and the guys on here.

I'm predators, almost exclusively for 5 years or so, and that almost exclusively cats due to where I live. But I do try to get out to good country for Coyotes when I can.

As my kids age, and my wife gets more used to me I'm going to both hunt more big game, and hunt further afield for predators!

I use my own hand calls and several e-calls.
- - Steve

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com/calls
www.rain-shadow.com/knives
rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Rainshadow: I live in the rockies, just west of Denver, I know I have some big cats on our place, how do I find out where they hang out? Any suggestions?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby rainshadow1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 pm

Burning large amounts of gas on freshly snowed roads is really the best tip I can ever give. Especially calling. Getting close enough to them for them to hear you is easily 90% of the battle.

I watch the weather all the time. I like to travel as hard and fast as I can from 2 to 6 hours after a snow storm. Assuming they're holed up for the storm, and come out to prowl afterwards.

Get on their tracks and follow them until something, even hairs on the back of your neck, tells you you're closing in, then set up and call. Long and loud.

Sneaking near a kill and setting up on it is a good idea without snow, but super hard to find. A rare opportunity.

There's other techniques, like working scrape lines, and if you're a real adventurous mountaineer you can track one down, but it's a crapshoot. They travel so far so fast, it's just luck to catch them close enough to hear your calling.

Cold calling can be done, I think I did it last week (heard something in on me, but couldn't see it), but it's really REALLY low percentage.
- - Steve

rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 am

I have a lot of large rocks behind the house, we live on top of a mountain, I have seen cat tracks after a fresh snow, my neighbor saw a cat that went over 200 pounds feeding off a elk gut pile last year. I know that big cats live here, I just need to know, if predator calling works on them, or is just spotting them by chance is my only way of getting one. What do you think?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby rainshadow1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 am

If you're within earshot, calling works very well.

You have to be hid well and not move at all... (Say that to yourself 10 times real fast!) But if they can hear you, you have a very good chance to get them coming in.
- - Steve

rainshadow1
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 am

Great advice, what call works well? Rabbit, etc?
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting