Predatory Hunting Roll Call

Do you hunt predators or varmints? Share your stories here!

Predatory Hunting Roll Call

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:18 am

I am pretty new to this forum and was just curious, how many predator hunters there are on here?

I started predator hunting a few years ago and enjoyed it so much, that I have pretty much given up all other forms of hunting so that I would have more time to get after em'.

So...if you like to hunt the hunter, lets hear from you. Where are you from, how did you get started, and how long have you been a predator hunter?
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby Smokewagon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:24 am

Savagehunter, CRP here, I enjoy calling/shooting coyotes when time allows. What brand/type of calls do you use? I use mouth calls from Modern Call and LeMarr. Recently picked up a Red Desert Howler from Dan Thompson calls, but haven't got to try it yet.

Have you tried any of the electronic calls? I normally don't care much for them due to a lack of volume, but have an HS Specialties Prey Master that also hasn't been run yet. A company called Edge Expedite has some of the decoys you might have heard of. It looks like a squirrel twisting in the wind, and might just be the ticket for fooling those smart coyotes.
Smokewagon

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Hello CRP, nice to meet ya! I know exactly what you mean about "when time allows". I've only been callin' a few times this season due to out of country assignments for my work. I am determined to get out a few more times before it gets hot though.

I have several custom made closed and open reed calls I like to use, but I have some go-to production calls that always go in the field with me. One of the production calls I have, is a Sceery AP-4 that I wouldn't leave home without, and another I like to use a lot is the Dan Thompson PC-2.

I haven't heard of "Modern Call" or "LeMarr", are they available on-line? I am always trying new calls, I guess you could say I have a small collection. I plan on trying my hand at building some of my own this summer.

I have a Prey Master electronic call but, I never use it. The satisfaction I get calling them in with hand calls makes it hard for me to even give the Prey Master a chance. I do think it is a good call. Who knows, maybe someday when I'm all winded from blowing a mouth call, I'll give the Prey Master another try. :-)

I have the Edge Expedite decoy also...that is a great little decoy (especially for the price)! The first time I took it out, I had a hawk try to fly away with it. My hunting partner was so impressed with it, as soon as he had the opportunity he went out and bought one for himself. That little decoy is so hyper...it wiggled it's self right off the pedestal the first time I tried it. The next time I used it, I made sure the pedestal was pretty level and didn't have anymore trouble with it trying to get away.
Last edited by SavageHunter on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi Sav...I use a small predator call for foxes and coyotes( its an old olt call from the late 70's...it has an walnut body and is just a squeaker)...I enjoy calling them...usually when I am bowhunting...also for pics...
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Mike, do you use the Edge electronic predator caller hooked up to the squirrel decoy, or by itself? How about the Edge siren? That siren, like a howler is a good coyote locater. I just gotta get out and try this stuff. These products were ordered but didn't arrive till it was too late for the good Jan/Feb winter season.
Smokewagon

Postby SavageHunter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 am

Hello spearotiki!
That is really interesting, I never thought about trying to call coyotes with only a squeaker. I would like to see some of your pics. I have a two tone call by Lohman, which I bought sometime in 1978-79 that has a squeaker in the side of it. It was the first predator call I ever purchased.

CRP,
I use the Edge squirrel decoy by it's self (nothing attached to it) and accompany it with a hand call. I've never tried the Edge siren. I have heard of guy's using a siren to locate coyotes but, have never tried it myself. You all are giving me a lot of good ideas!
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:37 pm

it works on foxes,coyotes and also hawks...I was totally freaked out a few times in my bow treestand and had a big 'ole red tailed hawk swoop on me...also a huge owl did it once...that was very scary.!!

I had the opportunity when I was younger raising rabbits to hear the sound they make when they get either scared or hurt...not intentionally of course...but that is a dinner bell for most of nature...

eek...eek...eek...eeeeeeeek...the last with a long quiver...if there is a predator within ear shot and he is hungry...they will come...nowadays there seems to be an explosion of foxes around(Maryland river bottoms)...last day of bowseason in Jan.I called in 6 different foxes...they do act funny the last twenty -thirty yards...I try to aim the sound down...but they aren't that dumb...if coyotes are around the foxes seem to be non existent...I guess its sort of a pecking order...I know coyotes will kill a fox in a second if they can catch them...
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Mike, here are the websites for Modern Call and Lemarr Calls:

www.moderncallproducts.com

www.lemarrgamecalls.com

Check em out when you get a minute.

SW was formerly CRP
Smokewagon

Postby SavageHunter » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks Smokewagon, I will check them out!

So...are we three the only predator hunters on here?
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:45 am

I think we just have to stir up the pot a bit...t
silvertip

Postby silvertip » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm

guys...I was rooting through some old hunting stuff...lo and behold...I found a vintage reed squeaker...and it still works perfect...I have not seen it in over twenty years...I am in the process of packing up stuff for our move to Conifer...and there it was...what a nice find...it was stuck away in some old archery feathers boxes...its amazing what I have squirreled away...LOL...

I think it has a few sessions saved up in it for sure... :grin: t
silvertip

Postby SavageHunter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 pm

spearotiki,
What a cool find! Post some pics of some of your vintage calls! There is nothing I like better than seeing calls from years past.
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:35 am

I will get them up tonight...I like the old stuff too...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby Smokewagon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:08 pm

If you want to be nostalgic, have you ever seen/used the old Tally-Ho calls? These were really good in their "day" and still are.
Smokewagon

Next

Return to Predator and Varmint Hunting