The Confrontation...

Share your most incredible stories of close encounters with game, survival stories, exciting adventures, and more.

The Confrontation...

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:24 pm

The Confrontation
By Michael Brooks

Several years ago in South Central Wisconsin, on a cool crisp foggy afternoon in late October, I stood my ground with my unexpected intruder, eye to eye we stared at each other checking each other out. My opponent skilled in outdoor survival and very ready for a fight, a fight that I wanted no part of, and I was praying that it would never happen.

My story begins on a Friday afternoon, as I slowly walked through the fog between the soybean field and the hardwoods, I noticed the brilliant fall colors that were being illuminated through the fog above me, the Orange, yellows, and reds were incredible, The smells of fall are in the leaves of the red and white oaks, and maple leaves, as they drop have a sweet smell. This is the best time of year for me, as I love hunting in Wisconsin, especially deer hunting.

As I was backing out into a soybean field from the hard woods, I was looking at an old oak tree that might be a good place to put my tree stand. That’s when I noticed the dog barking off in the distance, uncontrollable barking, I was wondering what was going on, and never gave it a second thought. I finally decided where to put my tree stand, as I turned towards my jeep to retrieve my bow and climbing tree stand that’s when I heard the crashing of the standing soybeans behind me. I turned and looked to see what was causing all the noise, that’s when I confronted the largest buck, I have ever seen on the hoof, alive! We squared off at 10 yards in the open soybean field. This monster 12-point buck with broad shoulders and no neck started pawing the ground with his front right hoof. I stared in disbelief as Steam started blowing from his nostrils in the cold fog, as he glared at me and ready for a fight. I prayed and asked the Lord for help, I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to gently speak to the monster buck. As I spoke quietly we looked at each other for several minutes, then in triumph the buck raised his head and off he ran into the fog into the standing corn field 50 yards away. I stood there total silence and in my mind praised God that I was not going to be the front page of the local newspaper the following day.

I wondered after this event, how are we to handle confrontation today? Do we square off ready for battle, do we use harsh words to defeat our foe! In proverbs chapter three, verse three, ”It is to a man’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel” are you quick to argue? Another verse that I am reminded is “ A soft answer turns away wrath” Its hard to keep quiet during a heated exchange of words, but to keep your war of words from escalating, stop and think about the words that you will be eventually asking forgiveness for! My question to you is it worth it? Just ask the Lord for His help during these times and see the difference that a soft answer will produce.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Has anyone ever had to confront someone and what did you do?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby DaveHawk » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Mike, I had a confrontation that could have ended my life but I put all my trust in the Lord that day;

I live on the corner of a small court only one house between my house and the walk bridge to the park and apartments across the high way.
durring that summer there were young black teens selling drugs on the bridge. One evening I walked out and spoke to one of the youths; I told him he needed to stop selling the drugs before Someone puts a bullet through his head and I would have to pick him up under the bridge. A week goes by and I see who I thought may have been the main dealer walking past my house. I'd just got off work and locked the van. I watched him as he walked past and he looked back at me, This was a big 270 pound 6'4" black man in his early 20's and buff, He asked what I was looking at and why as he walked past I told him I was just watching and he turned my way and said well stop! I told him I want to know who is do what on the bridge. He tore his T-shirt off and his massive chest was exposed as his fist went up and he headed my way. I had a brief few seconds to walk behind the van and ask a quick prayer; what do I say now Lord? I came around the van and he was taken by me coming back out towards him and he yelled at me to stop and I walked up to him and told him God will give you the Love your mother had for you when you were a child! The man's countenance dropped as he turned and began to run away. I told him come back and talk but no deal he was gone. A few weeks later he returned and knocked on my door with the youth I spoke to. He handed me a track he had received from a church and said This boy and I will not be selling any more drugs and thanked me and left. I have never seen him since but I still pray for both of them.

I had no idea what to say to him when I emerged from the back of my van but I know the Hole Spirit did and it was God who spoke through me that day and saved me and maybe his life and the youths.
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 am

Dave, that is a great story, thanks for sharing it. Many times the Lord has helped me out in a tough time, just as he helped you!
Last edited by Mike Brooks on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby DaveHawk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:52 pm

I really believe that the more we allow God to use us the greater He is able to use us. Thus we take on the Holy Spirit as our guide in a very personial way. We become more in-touch with how He loves us and our communication with Him becomes even more real.

In sharing these stories I have a since that others will recognize that God not only works through them but in others and it can help others realize that sharing the Lord with someone is not just by chance but a divine appointment which He has set up for us if we are attentive to His voice.

Mike here is a story a friend posted up on another forum. By Rob

powerful, thanks for sharing,
kindly reminds me of a situation I found myself in about 3 or so years ago. It wasn't a threatening type of situations as you are talking off. I took a fellow soldier to Walter Reed, he was having his shoulder fixed up, it was an in and out thing so i went so as i could drive him home afterwards. While he was being worked on i went to the Cafe for some breakfast. you must know was it like 0630 in the morning and there was only about 4 folks in the room that could hold , say what 400 with no problem. I'm sitting at a table all alone and this lady stands there at the entrance with a trey with just a cup coffee on it looking around as if she was looking for a place to sit. After a few mins. of standing there looking around as if it was a packed house, she came and set at the table i was at directly across from me. I was kinda taken back as i thought "all of the places to set and she picks directly across from me. A min or so goes by no one saying nothing, her sitting there just looking at me , not drinking her coffee, just looking at me as I was eating. To say the lest it was an odd situation and i had to say something, so out it comes I say "Good morning, How are you doing today?" That's when i was really taken back , she started crying, still saying nothing, i don't mean just crying i mean CRYING, the other four folks that was in there starting looking, and some of the workers started looking on, i was like "What DID i say?, What DID i do?, I'm I going to be arrested?, What DO i do now? What DO I say now?... as she set there bailing, almost screaming with tears, I said a little prayer kinda like your, asking for the words to say or actions to do. I asked her if she was alright and before i could finish asking her that she was letting me have it, telling me how her husband left her a few years back, and how she had a kid who wasn't doing good in school, and how her brother who she has never been with out was going out west for 2 months, and how her job didn't pay well, on and on and on. She keep going back to her Brother going away. I shared with her how I was in the Army and was taking away from home quit often, and that myself and my family all had the comfort of knowing that if something should happen to us while together or apart, that we would all reunite at some point in Gods Kingdom. She asked how that was so I shared the Love of our Lord Jesus Christ with her, and she asked how she could have that kind of comfort, I told her how and she asked if I would help her gain that comfort, I informed her that I myself could not nor would ever be able to gain that for her, but I would be willing to Pray with her to invite Jesus Christ into her life and heart and he Would give her that comfort plus a whole lot more. so we prayed , she got up and left, never taking a sip of her coffee. As I was finishing, well trying to finish my now cold eggs, I was thinking God for using me in such a way and for giving me the courage to not just walk away from the situation. That was the first time I was used to lead another to Christ, but I tell you the truth I had no clue as what i was going to say to this stranger sitting across from me crying and the words just came all I did was opened my mouth, and I know it wasn't my words coming out, to tell the truth I'm not sure of what all "I" said to her, o yea now I remember,.. "I said" , Nothing! I have never seen her again. I did learn something that i will never forget and that is "to always have my Lure in the water" no matter what I have planned for the day, it may not be Gods plan form that day.
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 am

any others have a confrontation story?
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Amy Fales » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am

I was sitting in my living room with the windows open and could hear yelling. It was quite a way down the street, but getting louder as the source of the noise approached. Within moments I could understand what was being said. Racial slurs filled with seething hatred and profanity filled the neighborhood! I looked out to see an overweight colored teenage girl slouched under the weight of the verbal attack. Across the street was a young boy, maybe 8 to 10 years old, red faced, spitting, yelling and jesturing at her.

I looked to where my son was sitting, and he looked at me wide-eyed!
We simply weren't used to this sort of thing! We had just moved into the city from a quiet country farm.

I had seen the boy on previous occasions. I noticed him because it was common to see him roughhousing with his friends. I had watched to be sure it was all in good "fun" and not serious fighting.

This was definately not "in good fun"!
I put down the papers I was working on, and with pen still in hand I stomped out the door. By the time I got to the front gate he had moved beyond my house. I followed him up the road, yelling across the street in a voice I didn't know I had, "I am disgusted that a boy your age even knows the words that just poisoned the air! If you ever fill my living room with such noise again, I WILL call the police for disturbing the peace! I KNOW where you live, and believe me, I am not afraid to speak to your parents!"

He looked at me wide-eyed. I yelled a bit more as he scooted off.
The neighborhood was pretty quiet the rest of the summer.

Two things bother me about this confrontation.
The first is that no one else on the street challenged this boy. He must have passed 30 or more houses before reaching mine. Were there no other adults around that found this unacceptable?

The second thing that bothers me....and I suspect answers my own question....if the boy was only a few years older, I may not have chosen to confront him. I would have wondered if he was "packing" and if going out there to challenge him was a good idea.

This confrontation isn't as scary as the others in this thread, but, it does demonstrate how loud tyrants can come to rule if not checked.

It is fear that causes us to pause before wanting to get involved.
I understand fear for your life, and hesitating.
But how many just don't bother out of fear that they'll be yelled back at? Or fear of being embarassed for sticking up for what is "good"?
Or fear of being mocked?

I just wonder why no one else bothered with correcting this boy?
Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established
Proverbs 4:26
Amy Fales
Junior Scout

Return to Drama in Real Life