The Mojave Rattler Attack.

Share your most incredible stories of close encounters with game, survival stories, exciting adventures, and more.

The Mojave Rattler Attack.

Postby mortensen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I was coyote hunting in the Mojave Desert and just finished doing some distress jackrabbit calls and decided to climb over a few boulders to see if any yote's were coming in. The large boulders act as a camouflage and as I started climbing up the boulders that are approx 6 to 8 feet diameter, I saw two boulders in front of me that I could squeeze through. I started going through the boulders and my right foot slipped and my boot was wedged between the rocks below. I decided to rest my rifle on the two rocks just above me and chin myself up. I got myself up as high as I could go with the one foot still wedged between the rocks below. My vision was now about six inches above the rock and then I spotted a Mojave rattler who found me! He was about 15 feet away and started towards me. Fortunately I shoulder a sidearm (38 S&W). I had some difficulty getting the revolver out due to the cramped space I was in and if I was carring the firearm on my waste it really would be difficult if not impossible to get it free. The rattler was steadily moving closer to about 10 feet and I was preparing to take my first shot. I couldn't use the sights on my gun as I couldn't align my vision with the sights. The only thing I could rely on would be an educated guess. My first shot missed and so did the second as he kept moving closer. On the third shot he stopped for a few seconds as if maybe he felt a draft from the bullet coming close to him. The fourth round was a charm as it blew most of his head off as he was only about 7 feet away when I took the final shot. Needless to say. I was doing some heavy-duty praying through this ordeal!

The Mojave rattler is one of the more poisoness snakes in North America. If I had been bitten by this rattler I surely would have died as it would take me about 20 minutes to get back to my base camp and vehicle, another 30 minutes to get to the ranger station and probably 40 minutes to get me to some emergency. Meanwhile I have used up all this physical energy getting this far which also reduces your shelf-life!
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Amy Fales » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:26 am

Jeepers......

That's not too far from the Grand Canyon...
I'd like to hike down into the canyon someday...

wearing waders?! :roll:
I'd be shaking so bad, a revolver wouldn't be enough!
Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established
Proverbs 4:26
Amy Fales
Junior Scout

Postby mortensen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I believe if you want hike down to the floor of the Grand Canyon, you would have to start from the North rim area. And there's also a train ride you can take to the North rim area. I've seen the canyon twice and it's awesome.
Fortunately for you if you should go to the Grand Canyon is that you won't encounter any of the Mojave rattlers. However, you will encounter the Grand Canyon rattler and a few Diamond Backs!

Better get out that pistola and start practicing! :grin:
"Be Blessed and stay prayed-up".
mortensen
Senior Scout

Postby Amy Fales » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 am

Heh-heh...
I have a revolver I practice with quite frequently...
but the targets are never threatening me with venomous fangs! :shock:

The last time I went to the Grand Canyon, the North Rim was still inaccessable due to snow, so I only got to experience it from the South rim.
I hiked a little in Bryce Canyon, and Zion but didn't run into any of the local wildlife.

Any idea what a tourist needs for permits to carry?
I wonder if having your own state's permit to carry would suffice for a visiting trip?
That'd be a good thing to find out.
Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established
Proverbs 4:26
Amy Fales
Junior Scout

Return to Drama in Real Life