The Confrontation

Share your most incredible stories of close encounters with game, survival stories, exciting adventures, and more.

The Confrontation

Postby Mike Brooks » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:32 am

The Confrontation
By Mike Brooks
Several years ago in South Central Wisconsin on a cool crisp foggy afternoon in late October, I stood my ground with my unexpected intruder; eye to eye we stared at each other checking each other out. My opponent skilled in outdoor survival and very ready for a fight, a fight that I wanted no part of, and I was praying that it would never happen.

My story begins on a Friday afternoon, as I slowly walked through the fog between the soybean field and the hardwoods, I noticed the brilliant fall colors that were being illuminated through the fog above me. The oranges, yellows, and reds were incredible. The smell of fall is in the leaves of the red and white oaks and maple leaves as they drop have a sweet smell. This is the best time of year for me as I love hunting in Wisconsin, especially deer hunting.

As I was backing out into a soybean field from the hard woods, I was looking at an old oak tree that might be a good place to put my tree stand. That’s when I noticed the dog barking off in the distance; it was uncontrollable barking. I was wondering what was going on and never gave it a second thought. I finally decided where to put my tree stand. As I turned towards my jeep to retrieve my bow and climbing tree stand, I heard the crashing of the standing soybeans behind me. I turned and looked to see what was causing all the noise when I confronted the largest buck I have ever seen on the hoof, alive! We squared off at 10 yards in the open soybean field. This monster 12-point buck with broad shoulders and no neck started pawing the ground with his front right hoof. I stared in disbelief as steam started blowing from his nostrils in the cold fog. As he glared at me and got ready for a fight, I prayed and asked the Lord for help. I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to gently speak to the monster buck. As I spoke quietly, we looked at each other for several minutes. Then in triumph, the buck raised his head and off he ran into the fog into the standing corn field 50 yards away. I stood there in total silence and in my mind praised God that I was not going to be the front page of the local newspaper the following day.

I wondered after this event, how are we to handle confrontation today? Do we square off ready for battle; do we use harsh words to defeat our foe? Proverbs chapter three, verse three says,”It is to a man’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.” Are you quick to argue? Another verse that I am reminded of is, “A soft answer turns away wrath.” It’s hard to keep quiet during a heated exchange of words, but to keep your war of words from escalating, stop and think about the words that you will be eventually asking forgiveness for! My question to you is: Is it worth it? Just ask the Lord for His help during these times and see the difference that a soft answer will produce.

Michael Brooks is host/Co-producer of RMOA-TV Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures Television and DVD video library in Denver, Colorado. Brooks’ latest project was Trigger to Target. He writes outdoor devotionals and conducts hunting seminars on elk hunting in the US. Brooks speaks at wild game dinners and is a motivational speaker and well known photo journalist. He is a regular on "The Great Outdoor Trail Radio Show." He is the CVO of COFA - Christian Outdoor Fellowship of America. Brooks trusted in Christ while in high school through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Brooks lives with his wife Carol on top of Double Header Mountain in Conifer, Colorado and has one daughter, Alissa.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Windycity hunter » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:52 pm

I like this one, sometimes I don't know how to deal with confrontation.
Windycity hunter
Greenhorn

Return to Drama in Real Life