Slingshot to the Rescue!

Share your most incredible stories of close encounters with game, survival stories, exciting adventures, and more.

Slingshot to the Rescue!

Postby slingshot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 am

My kids were on Spring Break from school last week, so we went to Greenville, S.C. to visit family and friends.

We arrived late last Friday night at my parents' home at about 12:30 Midnight. My mom was waiting up for us. I went in first and as my mother stood at the door while my wife and two kids walked in, they all reported hearing a gun shot in the distance. I was already inside, so I didn't hear it. I didn't think much of it. My parents live in a pretty nice suburban neighborhood, but it's not that uncommon to hear gunshots late at night any more. :???:

We talked for with my mother for a few minutes and then I headed back out to the car to get our bags out of the trunk. As I went out the front door I could hear sirens in the distance. Guess somebody got shot, I surmised.

As I was standing at the back of the car, I heard a loud FLOP, FLOP, FLOP coming from behind me. I turned to see a shadowy figure running down the normally busy road that runs by my parent's home. Kind of late to be jogging, I thought to myself. Now the sirens I heard in the distance were growing noticably louder. The little wheels in my head started turning. They're after that guy!

I lost sight of the man in a dark backdrop where there is a narrow patch of woods. Just a little further down the street I expected him to emerge into an area that is lit from the parking lot of a Jehova's Witness temple.
He never emerged. I watched a string of 3 or 4 Sheriff's deputies turn down a street into a neighborhood about 1/4 mile down the road. They had no idea that the crook was so close. I had to let them know! I went to the street and tried to flag them down, but they didn't see me.

I ran to the front door and told my mom to close the door and lock it and that I would be right back. I jumped in the car and sped down to where I saw the deputies turn in. I finally pulled up along side a deputy who was talking with what appeared to be a home owner next to the curb.

I tried to roll down the window on the passenger side to talk to him, but I was driving my wife's car and couldn't find the button in the dark to unlock the child safety lock. Needless to say, I was trying to hurry and I just couldn't think fast enough. The officer was shining his flashlight in my eyes trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted. I finally just opened the the door and stuck my head out.

"You guys looking for a man? I just saw him run by our house!", I said, out of breath.

"Where?!", asked the cop.

"Gap Creek Road! The last time I saw him he was at the church parking lot!"

They all jumped in their cars and sped off. The homeowner struck up a conversation with me. "I heard an engine rev in front of my home", He said.

"I looked out the window and saw a white Blazer out front. Then I peeked from the bedroom window at my pickup truck. The dome light was on", he continued.

"I got my pistol and went outside to confront the guy. He scrambled from the bed of my pickup truck and started to run. I told him to stop and he did momentarily. Then he bolted again, so I fired a shot at the ground near his feet to scare him. He looked like a teenager. I didn't want to shoot somebody's kid", the homeowner told me. "His friend in the Blazer didn't stick around."

I rode back to my parents' home and watched the officers cars screaming up and down the road, shining their search lights in vain. Then I realized there was a Baptist church at the end of the street. They were looking at the wrong church! I called 911 and told the operator exactly what I had seen. About 2 minutes later they all pulled into the Jehova's Witness parking lot. I watched anxiously for about another hour, but I couldn't quite figure out if they had caught the man or not.

The next afternoon I rode down into the neighborhood where the burglary had occured and was flagged down by the homeowner. "They got him!, he told me. He was right around back of the Jehova's Witness temple, just sitting there when the cops pulled in."

Apparently the burglar was an 18 year old boy high on drugs. He was out on a $5,000 bond for another burglary according to the homeowner. I was happy that I happened to be in the right place at the right time to help the officers catch this guy.

I guess the moral of the story is...choose where you go to church wisely. :grin:
slingshot
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sun May 04, 2008 9:05 pm

great story :lol:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Drama in Real Life