virginia mountain cougar

Share your most incredible stories of close encounters with game, survival stories, exciting adventures, and more.

virginia mountain cougar

Postby silvertip » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:56 pm

a while back while on a bowhunting trip in the Blue Ridge I was doing some scouting mid day(OK...a long while back...1983) ...it was a perfect day...leaves were turning hard and it was about 55 degrees out and sunny...seeing that a flock of turkeys had cruised through recently because the forrest floor was all torn up I thought I would take out my old slate call and let out a few yelps... not really expecting a whole lot...but it was real pretty out and I guess I just wanted to let out a sound...

I was on a pretty steep hillside and looked down on an old logging trail...I saw some brown fur moving...I nocked an arrow and got behind a tree...I was on my knees and was looking to see if this was a deer and get set up for a shot...

I got a better look at about 25 yards...this was no deer...and it also had two little ones with it...this was a full grown cougar...every move it made its muscles rippled...and its tail swayed like a big 'ole thresher shark...

about now I thought it best to chill out and just sit still...the cat looked around for a moment...I was frozen...and only about 15 yards away....I was very aware of the little ones too...she froze...and I got ready for whatever...then all of a sudden she was gone in the blink of an eye with the kits following...

I talked with a forrester friend and he told me that there had not been a report of a mountain lion in over 75 years in this area...well this was a special one for me...

this was October 1983...
silvertip

Re: virginia mountain cougar

Postby SavageHunter » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 am

spearotiki wrote:I was frozen...and only about 15 yards away....I was very aware of the little ones too

15 yards away, and with cubs? I think I would have passed out!
Mike
SavageHunter
Junior Scout

Postby silvertip » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 am

I did not realize how sketchy it was until it was too late...fortunate for me she did not wind me...or think I was going to hurt her cubs...or this story could have had a very different outcome ...yikes...lets see...bow and arrow in my lap vs. adult cougar with cubs...not a very good situation...someone was watching out for me...I had a wife and 3 little ones back in the cabin waiting for me! :sad:

later that week I found the remains of what looked like a sheep that wandered up the hills...or was dragged???all that was left was a circle of wool about 25 yards in diameter...and a few little pieces of hooves...don't know if it was a black bear or that cougar...either way...I had a new way of viewing that mountain...ted

Rileysville ,Virginia October 1983
silvertip

Postby DaveHawk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I often wounder where your were when I came to pick up Jonathan.

Playing the big cats LOL
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Return to Drama in Real Life