Survival Gear Will Keep You Alive!

Share stories, tips, gear recommendations, and more.

Postby Windycity hunter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:41 am

You're always hearing on the news about climbers who are stranded in snowstorms or a family driving that has gotten stuck in nasty weather. Or how about the family that decides to stick it out in the face of an impending hurricane?

By having basics such as emergency shelter, fire starting, signaling, and other survival tools, a stranded climber, driver or family will be much more prepared to endure, be ready to signal for help, and can survive for a much longer time during such an ordeal.

A survival kit is not something you figure out when an emergency happens. It's a bug out bag already filled with life saving and sustaining gear and is easily accessible.

In a survival situation you will need these things and not necessarily in this order:
Shelter
Fire
First Aid
Water
Food
Survival-Gear.com provides complete quality emergency survival kits for home or vehicle, wilderness survival kits, medical first aid kits, supplies and gear for many types of emergencies. We offer a variety of kits and outdoor survival supplies you should have whenever venturing into the outdoors or surviving an emergency at home.

The 4 person backpack emergency survival kit is designed to support four people for three days (72 hours.) This can be easily stored in your home, vehicle or office and can be of significant aid in many circumstances.

If you have to get out of dodge immediately without any time to prepare anything, your survival kit can save your life!

Carrying survival equipment is essential for any outdoor excursion and having a vehicle survival kit is something every car or truck should have. Buy yours here.

Our premium survival kits are packed with high quality components. These exclusive kits were put together balancing weight and price while providing highly recommended, proven and tested products that you can depend on when you need it. These premium gear stocked kits are great for your own home emergency kit. Every home, office and vehicle should have an emergency kit.

It's simply being prepared.™
Windycity hunter
Greenhorn

Postby Rebel Hog » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 am

Brother, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are among Seasoned and Expirienced hunters here. This is not a Boy Scout Camp......Please, inform us of things we don't know. :wink:
Jesus said, "he who stands firm to the end will be saved" Mark 13:13.
www.floridaconservation.org/
Rebel Hog
Senior Scout

Postby D1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 pm

Rebel Hog wrote:Brother, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are among Seasoned and Expirienced hunters here. This is not a Boy Scout Camp......Please, inform us of things we don't know. :wink:

hold on my friend ....I teach the "HUNTERS EDUCATION COURSE" and you will be suprised at the number of people who have hunted for several years and dont know these things
D1
Senior Scout

The young and the old

Postby thumper » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi D1;
I concur with your post, but Rebel Hog was right in saying that there are seasoned hunters here.

The problem with seasoned hunters is that they become complacent and over trusting in their abilities. Due to this they begin to neglect taking with them essential survival equipment because of the age old axium" That will never happen to me".

The vast majority of lost hunters are generally the old guys!! The seasoned veterens. Not because they somehow lost their ability to tell direction or to know what to do but due to unforseen circumstances. The ones they didn't count on happening.
As you get older, yes you may be wiser (hopefully) but things happen, and you are not prepared. I know many, many seasoned hunters who will go on a hunt with only a few cartridges with them. When I question them on it, I usually get the standard bravado of " I only need two rounds, one for the kill and one in case I lose one".

I know it is mostly said jokingly, but having only 4 or 5 rounds is the same as having only two. Complacent attitudes cause mistakes. I've heard so many hunters relate their story to me how they saw the trophy of their dreams, took a shot and missed, shot again an wounded it, shot again and missed and again with the same result. Now they have a wounded animal and all four rounds are spent, and their extra ones are back in the truck two miles away. Do they learn their lesson? Usually not because they have a complacent attitude.

Unforseen circumstances that over take the seasoned hunters are many times physical. Although the mind says, I've jumped from rock to rock many times, the body no longer agrees. You take a fall and since the tendons aren't as elastic as they used to be, you snap one in your foot.

Now you have an instant circumstance, you weren't counting on, and without sufficient survival equipment, you won't make it out, or be found before hypothermia claims you.
As a Forest officer in Northern Alberta Canada, every year we would be advised to watch out for lost hunters, and invaribly they were over 50 years old, hunted all their lives, and hunting alone. I don't recall finding more than 10-20 % alive. Most that were found had no rifle, no jacket, no pack etc. because they paniced trying to get out of the bush alive, because they weren't prepared for an emergency.

It never hurts to be reminded of something important, as you never know who else might be reading these posts that doesn't have the skill or back ground of the rest of the folks on this site.
If you HATE then there is no GRACE! The opposite of LOVE is APPATHY, The opposite of HATE is UNDERSTANDING!
thumper
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:39 am

I always say, take a refresher course from time to time. Will help you keep up with the latest survival gear. Check with Sportsman's warehouse, or Bass pro, or check your local sporting goods store.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Here in Colorado we lose many to their inexperience in the mountains, skiers, hikers, snowmobilers, they get lost and have no clue what to do, its pretty sad when you hear about these people on the news.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Survival