Military tents, are they worth it.

Talk about camping, campsites, your favorite trip, your best gear, and more.

Military tents, are they worth it.

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am

I love using military tents for hunting, does anyone else use military tents for hunting or camping? For COFA we use the GP medium and GP small. Durable and easy to take care of.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

US got it right

Postby thumper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Thats one aspect thet the US definitely has right in my opinion Mike, in that it allows it's citizens to purchase surplus military goods.

After all, the citizens paid for them in the first place, so why not let them benefit when their service life is used up, or a new model comes out.

Up here in Canada, the Canadian Government and Military will destroy any and all surplus material, no matter what it is. They will take brand new equipment, clothing, bedding, tents, supplies of any nature, and cut it, crush it, tear it, in what ever way they can before burying it or selling it to the salvage contractor. I've been at the guys place when a semi load comes in from an Alberta military base, only to open the creats and find every single pair of boots, gloves, pants etc, brandnew in the wrappers but slashed to bits. This goes for electronics, cameras binoculars what have you, so we never get any Canadian surplus tents, had to buy my own years ago 14X16 canvas wall tent for around $1100. What you guys have available through surplus makes me drool!
If you HATE then there is no GRACE! The opposite of LOVE is APPATHY, The opposite of HATE is UNDERSTANDING!
thumper
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Thumper, that would drive me nuts if I heard that we did that with our surplus. COFA has gotten some great deals with tents and other military gear. Its a shame that Canada has to waste good gear that others would like to have.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Re: Military tents, are they worth it.

Postby Lizette » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:40 pm

I have no experience with the military tents, but I thin it's a quite heavy.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Re: Military tents, are they worth it.

Postby milehiscott » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:52 am

Lizette,
Yes, they are quite heavy. They are designed to be brought in by truck. If you want a pack tent, it needs to be a much smaller tent. However, if you are driving to camp, they can't be beat. They are designed for high winds (if set up properly) and with a liner and stove will keep warm in very low temps. That makes them GREAT base camp tents.
milehiscott
Senior Scout

Return to Camping