How many Youth are we losing?

Bragging rights, swapping stories, and more

Moderator: Mike Brooks

How many Youth are we losing?

Postby Da_north2100 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:33 am

I have a question, can someone tell me where to find statistics on how many youth we are losing in the hunting area or even in the outdoors nation wide each year or over the past 10-20 years? ( I don't mean lost in the woods, but lost because no hunting education, no parent or mentor or wrong education all together)

If you know of a web site please direct me to it or if you have this information please provide it along with your source.

Jim
Psalms 40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
Da_north2100

Postby Fourthwind » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm

I can't say about other states, but we have been increasing our youth hunter numbers in the last 6 years. This is due in large part to the efforts of the Hunter Outreach program that we have here in Colorado. The main problem we have right now is keeping adult hunters in the field. The economy is making it difficult for many people to even afford to leave the office. Most people expect the DOW to take a large hit in over the counter sales this season due to gas prices alone. I know it's making it more difficult for volunteers like myself to conduct youth hunts. Last year I drove over a 1000 miles with my decoy trailer running youth hunts for the state. Going to be difficult this year to run those kinds of miles.. Here is the link to the outreach report for CO.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre ... rt2008.pdf
Fourthwind
Senior Scout

Postby AnointedArcher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:08 am

Great question Jim, I would be really interested in hearing the answer to that myself!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

Postby Da_north2100 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 am

I know that this year which I think is the first year for it they are doing a Apprentice Hunting License here in Michigan. Any hunter under the age of 17 can apply for this tag for two years before they have to successfully complete a hunter safety course. Yes they have to hunt with a licensed adult hunter.

I'm going to have to check with our DNR here in MI and see if they might be able to provide me with this information for our state. I would still like to know what it is for the rest the USA.

Thanks,

Jim
Da_north2100

Postby AnointedArcher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm

Actualy last year was the first year for the apprentence hunter program, both Kody and Jacob hunted under that program. They will both particapte in it again this year as well. Actualy Kody could probably teach the hunters safety classes :wink:
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

hunting down here for youth

Postby bwcaman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:26 pm

There is a 25% drop over the last 10 years in Minnesota. over 15% in North Dakota according to our local newspaper and the local TV channel. I do not know where these statistics came from.
They came out mid summer in 2008.
Both Minnesota and North Dakota as well as some hunting and fishing clubs are taking steps to help young people get into the outdoors.
Ironically both states have seen an increase by over 10% in the numbers of young girls and Grown women taking up hunting and shooting sports.
The number of men and women getting a license to carry is up 25%
mostly due to women as Men applying is only about 10%.
Sort of baffles the media people at this point
I took a small poll of the teens in our church (during sunday school class of 15 kids) half of them hunt and fish. All but 2 wised they did but their parents didn't take them. The 2 were open to go out and see if they might like it. Might have some peer pressure skewing the results.
Lots of oppertunities there I think!
NO God - No Peace... Know God - Know Peace
bwcaman
Greenhorn

Postby Da_north2100 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 pm

You know I'm going to do some writing to a few states to see if the DNR can send me any info on these numbers over the past 5-10-15 years. Not sure what it will turn up but why not, what do I have to lose.

Thanks for brining this back up again bwcaman, I forgot all about this post.

When I get the info I'll post it.

Jim
Da_north2100

Postby christy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 am

:shock:
christy
City Slicker

Return to General Hunting