Good evening to bow hunt

Bowhunters share their stories, tips, etc.

Moderator: DaveHawk

Good evening to bow hunt

Postby DaveHawk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 pm

18 deg's and winds gusting to 30, yep it was a great evening. I climbed into my stand about 4 PM and 40 minutes later I see aliens moving through the thickets about 150 yards out.Then I see a big white ribbon or what I thought was a big white ribbon hanging from a tree but then it disappeared and I catch more movement but I thinking good I'll be able to get a nice little doe for my Dad and Mom , I always get them a deer for Christmas. But then I see antlers and I think darn here comes that scrubby 5 point. Then he stopped and I see 2 more little bucks and they stopped to watch a pair of Red Foxes working there way up the creek. As the foxes passed the big male fox barking all the way tring to scare up some dinner for his mate to catch the deer followed them. Two small bucks a 4 and a 6 emerge to my left and out into the yard feeding on the green grass. Then I see him and nice 10 point big white antlers and he was lead by the scrubby 5 and a small 8. They made there way through and I was in luck the wind was in my face plus the male fox laid a piss line down that would act as cover scent also. Then the 10 which turned out to be a 9 point came around. He offered me a shot but there were over hanging limbs at 20 yards, I could have made it through a small hole but talked myself into waiting and he moved on , passed a big Sycamore tree and had a few small scrubs bushes in front of him but I could see the vitals and pushed myself to wait . I keep telling myself one more step and one more step the it was all over he was in the clear, perfect heart shot and he and 4 others bolted but he only went 30 yards. Jumping the creek and up on the bank and then he lost his legs and down he went into 2' of water. Man I had my street shoes on with my boot blankets. I had to get my boots from the truck. Well I post the picks tomorrow..
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Carroll B » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:39 am

Nice deer Dave. I haven't seen enough deer this year to justify sitting in the wind and cold temps. Had a doe run past me Saturday but she never gave me a shot as it was too thick. I'd still like to get anonther one this year to be able to provide some meat for our sportsman's banquet. Have a blessed Christmas.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks Carroll, Merry Christmas

DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Rob Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 am

nice deer man you have all the luck!!
You can never walk on water if you dont step out of the boat!!
Rob Jones
Senior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:08 pm

My son Jarrod claims have have a the Golden Horse shoe stuck where the son don't shine. LOL

Thanks , But I can't call it luck. I put my time in and 500+ deer with a bow can't all be luck now can it.

I think that the Lord has allot to do with my abilities.

DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Deerslayer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:24 am

Nice buck Dave, I used to love bowhunting our late season here, that is until I got married. :roll: I will never forget the reaction that I got from my wife our first Christmas morning together when I got up early, like I had for years before that, to go bowhunting. I used to love hunting on the public land around here on Christmas morning because I always had the woods and the deer all to myself. Well she starts crying and carrying on and saying, "How could I?" :shock: I had to make a choice that day and in a few months it will be 20 years that I have been married so I think I made the right choice. Now with my kids at the ages where they have something to be driven or taken to every night of the week I don't bowhunt at all. I love my kids and this season of life but I will look forward to bowhunting more when they get older. Hopefully my busted elbow will hold up or I will have to switch to a crossbow like you Dave.
Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 am

Christ you made the right choice bro. Soon you will be sitting in a stand with your bow when the kids are all out of the house wondering where the time went.
I had a similar experience except it was on a Thanksgiving morning 26 years ago. It was 4:30 am and I was heading out the door in full camo and the wife said I think I'm ready and I asked her if it can wait a few hours LOL

Well I got the LOOK for the 1st time and knew what I had to do. It was something like 19 hours later and Jonathan was born 10.3 pds. Doc and I ate Turkey sandwiches and watched football on the TV all day. We will have 27 years together next month.
God sure can make something out nothing if you give Him the go-a-head.

DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

anyone care to share an evening bow hunt story?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Lizette » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:00 am

I prefer morning especially bow hunting.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Return to Bowhunting